Bottom of skillet

S

skittleblade

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. The bottom of my cast iron skillet gets greasy, and I don't know what to do about it. Obviously I don't want to use soap on the cooking surface. But I have tried using a little soap on the outside bottom of the pan, but it does not seem to help. I hate seeing a greasy ring, occasionally, in the cupboard or on the counter where the skillet has been.

What have you done that works?

R

rayne

That just happens to be the nature of the beast. Put something under the pan so the ring doesn't get on your counter. Another thing you could do is bake the pan in the oven to get some of the grease out.

T

Tessa

That's a smart idea, Rayne! My oven has a skillet drawer, and I've always kept my cast iron in there. Stays separate from my other pans and dishes. I hear hanging them up works well, too.

B

Briquet

We just always keep our skillet on the stove. All the other cast iron is put on cardboard in the cupboard to soak up any grease that might be on the bottom.

R

rayne

I hadn't thought of cardboard Briquet. I'll bet you could get one of those pieces that goes under a pizza and it would be perfect. Good thought. Thanks!

S

skittleblade

These are some good ideas. Thank you! I am glad to find out I am not the only one who has experienced this. I was a little afraid there was just something I was doing wrong.

B

BarbiQ

Rub the grease onto the surface and it will keep the iron from rusting. Like others suggested, you can burn it off in the oven. I just put it over a high flame on top of the stove to let it burn off. Don't ever leave it unattended though!