Best Mustard Ever Recipe

D

Diane Lane

I've been wanting to make mustard for a while now. I still haven't gotten around to it, but I just found this recipe, and it might be the one to push me over the edge and actually get what I need to make it.

It looks like a fairly straightforward recipe, and I have just about everything on the ingredients list, other than mustard seed and mustard powder. Hopefully I can remember to pick those up next time I go shopping, and try this out. I'm not actually sure what qualifies as 'sweet pickle juice', I wonder if that means the juice from sweet and sour pickles? I have dill here, but not sweet and sour juice.

Do you make your own mustard, use store bought, or do you not even like mustard?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/best-mustard-ever-recipe.html

Ingredients
1/4 cup dry mustard powder
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup mustard seed

Directions
In a small, microwave-proof bowl whisk together the dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, turmeric, paprika and garlic powder. In a separate container, combine the pickle juice, water and cider vinegar and have standing by. Place the mustard seed into a spice grinder and grind for a minimum of 1 minute, stopping to pulse occasionally. Once ground, immediately add the mustard to the bowl with the dry ingredients and add the liquid mixture. Whisk to combine. Place the bowl into the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and puree with a stick blender for 1 minute. Pour into a glass jar or container and allow to cool uncovered. Once cool, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2007

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/best-mustard-ever-recipe.html?oc=linkback

tiewunon

Diane,
I have never made my own mustard but it does sound tempting/interesting.

As a kid I so looked forward to going to my grandparents house in Western Pa. They had a brown mustard called Tweeds (no longer made) that was out rageously good. Once that source dried up my mom used to pawn off Plochmans brown mustard on us kids. It was good. You can still find Plochmans around but I think tbey changed the receipe.

Now if you want something really good and different in the mustard department try Millers Banana Pepper Mustard out of Western Pa. Golly that stuff. Is so good you could eat it off the spoon or on wings. Reallt good! I have also tried Mrs. Millers Banana Pepper Mustard out of Ohio its good but in my opinion not near as good as Millers out of Pa.

O

oportosanto

Mustard is something I never made either, I am guessing we can give it our own special twist.