Which Contest Is The Most Prestigious?

Discussion in 'Competition BBQ' started by moondrop, Apr 29, 2012.

1. moondrop

moondrop New Member

I am originally from the Midwest, so I was raised to believe that the Kansas City Royal is the most prestigious contest. With the growth of interest in recent years in competitive barbecue, I wonder if this is still true.
  2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. Pirz Active Member

I actually don't know of any down here in Florida but that's probably because I haven't looked much into it. I would love to know if anyone on here knows of any in South Florida - Perhaps I can sign my husband up - he would love to try one of these!
  3. bbqbrad

bbqbrad New Member

The royal or the Jack Daniels Invitational.
  4. accuseal

accuseal New Member

Check out the Florida BBQ Assoc
  5. JohnB

JohnB Member

I'm surprised it's not in Texas or North Carolina, but the barbecue there is so good at almost any place, and people there know how to cook barbecue in their own back yards better than many competition barbecues I've been to. I'm getting hungry right now for pork ribs.
  6. Over Easy

Over Easy Member

I think the Jack Daniels Invitational in Lynchburg TN. is the most widely known and prestigious in the nation. If you're serious about your BBQ, and I mean serious, that's where you want to go.
  7. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

There are quite a few excellent ones, but I do agree that the Jack Daniel's one is top ranked.
  8. BraaiMaster

BraaiMaster New Member

There's a contest to win a trip to South Africa sponsored by Excelsior Wine Estate. All you have to do is submit a short video telling them why you are a master of the grill: www.excelsior.co.za/bbq-to-braai
    Deadline to enter is October 2, 2016