We're thinking about buying a smoker

BarbiQ

My husband and I have wanted a smoker for ages and we're thinking about getting one soon. So far, we've been reading up on them and figuring out which one would work out the best for us for the amount of money we can spend.

Anyone have any tips?

Cappy

If money is tight do it like us counrty boys do and make one. Oil drums old fridges or freezers or make one out of wood. burners from an old hot water heater fire box an old pot. The internet if full of home made simple versions, happy googleing:yo:

Cappy

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. This box was made from wood scraps and cobbled together, it has smoked thousands of lbs of goodies for over 5 years now and is still going strong. he set it up last year at the church fair and was smoking and making sausage. he went for a beer and when he got back some drunk was trhying to open the door and walk in he thought it was an out house.
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2013/02/over-at-smokin-sams.html

:yo:

BarbiQ

Well, I am not handy enough to build my own smoker but I appreciate the information. We want to buy one that isn't too large, but big enough to throw in a brisket or a couple racks of ribs and some sausage.

Like you, I would love to have a smoker, too. My girlfriend and her husband had a small electric on they would set up on the porch and he would just smoke to his heart's content. You put wet wood chips wrapped in foil with holes poked in it to make the smoke. It worked great. I am not sure where they got it,, maybe from CraigsList.

Canbeef

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. This box was made from wood scraps and cobbled together, it has smoked thousands of lbs of goodies for over 5 years now and is still going strong. he set it up last year at the church fair and was smoking and making sausage. he went for a beer and when he got back some drunk was trhying to open the door and walk in he thought it was an out house.
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2013/02/over-at-smokin-sams.html

:yo:
That is funny Cappy! It does kind of resemble an outhouse when you look at it quickly. I would have loved to see his face when he found out! That's a pretty big smoker, it must be a handful to carry around to fairs.