Vietnamese Grilled Pork over Vermicelli Noodles

L

Lucas Pham

Another special dish in my country, with a very strong flavor and smell of grilled meat that can knock you down from the first time :D One of my favorite dishes in winter

Serves approximately 4-5

Ingredients:

Porks
2 Tablespoons Fresh Garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons Shallots, minced
3 Tablespoons Lemongrass, very finely minced (sả bằm)
2 Green Onions, chopped
3 Tablespoons Cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce (nước mắm)2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1Teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
1 Pound Pork Shoulder, sliced into 2-3 inch strips

Accouterments
1 Package Vermicelli Noodles, prepared according to package directions
1.5 Cups Slightly Pickled Carrots and Cucumbers*
2 Cups Fresh Lettuce, roughly chiffonade1.5 Cups Fresh Bean Sprouts
1 Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
½ Cup Roasted Peanuts, crushed
½ Cup Green Onion infused Oil (hành mơ)**
1½ Cups Dipping Sauce (nước chấm)***

Thịt Nướng (Pork): In a large bowl, add honey, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Mix until the sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the marinade ingredients to combine. Add pork and mix to ensure that the meat has been thoroughly covered. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
While pork is marinating, prepare the accouterments:
*Pickled Carrots and Cucumbers: Cut carrots and cucumbers into small matchsticks and place in a small bowl. Cover them with Rice Wine Vinegar and a pinch of Sugar.
*Scallion Oil (hành mơ): In a sauté pan, slowly heat ¼ cup of canola oil. Add ½ cup chopped scallions. Cook the scallions on very low heat until they are wilted but still bright green. Approximately 2-3 minutes. Pull from heat and set aside.
*Dipping Sauce (nước chấm): Combine ½ Cup Fish Sauce, ½ Cup Sugar, ½ Cup Fresh Lime Juice, ¼ Cup Warm Water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add 1 Teaspoon Chili Paste. Adjust amounts to desired to taste.
Remove pork from the refrigerator 5-10 minutes before grilling to take the chill off the meat. Heat your grill pan to medium-high and lightly cover with cooking spray (or prepare outdoor grill). Grill meat for approximately 1-2 minutes on each side until browned. Since the meat is thin, it does not take long to cook.
To Assemble: In a bowl, place the cooked vermicelli noodles, lettuce and bean sprouts. Plate the warm grilled pork on top of the bowl, alongside with the pickled veggies and cilantro. Brush the meat with the scallion oil and sprinkle with the crushed peanuts. Serve with your preferred amount of nước chấm.

D

dissn_it

This one looks really good, too! I should be able to find all the ingredients at my local store. The directions are easier than I thought they would be. I will have to give this one a try soon.
Thanks for sharing you recipes!

M

Mrs. Pirz

My husband is going to drop dead with excitement when I show him this.. He is always talking about how he loves grilled pork and how he wants to incorporate it with noodles and looky here - a recipe ! This is spectacular and honestly as soon as I saw it I wanted a bite. Coming from a pregnant hungry woman that might not say much but believe me it looks phenomenal.

S

shaun

I traveled through Vietnam on a motorbike a few years ago. Grilled pork was sold everywhere at the street stools. They chop up the pork with huge meat cleavers, you can always hear the sound of meat being chopped up in the street. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

L

Lucas Pham

I traveled through Vietnam on a motorbike a few years ago. Grilled pork was sold everywhere at the street stools. They chop up the pork with huge meat cleavers, you can always hear the sound of meat being chopped up in the street. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
And there're variety types of foods that you can have with grilled pork: bread, rice noodle, bánh xèo (Vietnamese crepe)... All of them are incredible

C

Caryn

This one looks really good. I am getting hungry just looking at the picture. This one is a must try for both myself and my husband. It looks very appealing and delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

S

shaun

And there're variety types of foods that you can have with grilled pork: bread, rice noodle, bánh xèo (Vietnamese crepe)... All of them are incredible
I like to eat it with a Vietnamese broth and lots of herbs. I know baguettes are popular in Vietnam because of the French colonial past, but I do not like bread. I also like it served with stir fried vegetables and beansprouts.

J

jblythe4

OMG! I don't think my mouth has ever watered so much! Thank you so much for sharing this recipes I will definitely be making this on Sunday. Thank you again!

F

FireBrick

I have tried a Vietnamese vermicelli recipe before, and I actually liked these noodles. It didn't have grilled meat on it though. It was a chicken noodle soup. I chose the mild spicy one.

N

Nakhash

One of the things I've missed most since moving from Austin to rural KY is the lack of access to Vietnamese restaurants. I think I ate at one or another on a weekly basis. I've had this dish before and it's a favorite. I also like it done with shrimp added. I have most of the ingredients so I should be able to round up the rest.

Luckily, I have the little metal coffee drippers and can make cafe sua da whenever I want.

O

ohiotom76

This sounds and looks delicious. I get kind of tired of just making a pork roast or making pulled pork sometimes, and would love to try this. A lot of ingredients, so it's probably something I would try on a weekend. I've never heard of green onion infused oil though before, where would I find that at - is it common at Asian specialty stores?