Toppings for hot dogs

Discussion in 'Recipe Help & Wanted' started by Kateri, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Kateri

Kateri Member

My mom used to make the best meat sauce for hot dogs. It's been years since she has made it and now she can't find the recipe. Does anyone know of a good meat sauce recipe for hot dogs, or any other toppings that I can put on them? I am having a picnic this weekend and I thought it would be fun for people to have different toppings for their dogs.
  2. Most of the time we don't top hot dogs with anything but rarely we'll make homemade chili for them. I used to have a recipe bookmarked for the chili but then I changed computers and now I don't have it anymore. :confused:
  3. rayne

rayne Member

Restaurants are getting crazy with their hotdogs these days. Anything from peach salsa to Jamaican relish. We generally do the basic, mayo, mustard, ketchup Cole slaw, onions, and chili. For a twist, we will add sour kraut or pickle relish. What time is you cookout? :)
  4. joshposh

joshposh Active Member

I think my sister use to mess around with Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and some sugar. She use to mix those up and use it for a bunch of things. That may make things interesting for the hot dogs. Give it a try. Now a days I can't go without my Worcestershire sauce and salmon. My mouth is watering when I think about it.
  5. rayne

rayne Member

Worcestershire and salmon Josh? Doesn't sound good. How much do you use? Is that all you put on or do you use other things as well?
  6. joshposh

joshposh Active Member

It's really good actually. I saute the salmon in butter, and throw in some minced garlic or garlic powder, and chopped onions. From there I just sprinkle some Worcestershire sauce on everything while it is cooking. Not too much but just enough for the aroma to hit everyone's noses. Trust me, it smells great and taste real good.

Lots of recipes call for worcestershire sauce to be used with slamon.

https://www.google.com.ph/webhp?sou...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=worcestershire and salmon
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    rayne likes this.
  7. rayne

rayne Member

OK. That does sound better now that I've seen the whole recipe. I like Worcestershire and use it on lots of things but this is the first time I've heard of using it on fish. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  8. tjrline

tjrline New Member

I've had a hot dog served with Japanese mayo, pickled ginger with a wasabi on the side. It is great, very unique. I've also heard mango salsa is great on hot dogs. The best thing about a hot dog is that you can get creative.
  9. cawfee

cawfee Member

I think when you see some of the newer stuff on the dogs it is just because someone got creative in the kitchen. That is what we should be doing to start with. You can always take something old and make it new, plus it opens you up to new tastes to keep those taste-buds from turning lazy.
  10. L_B

L_B Active Member

I enjoy chili on my hotdogs. They taste good that way. I remember years ago A&W used to have this meat sauce that they served on their whistle dogs. Not sure what the sauce was but it was really good.