The Best Coleslaw Recipe (And So Easy!)

Diane Lane

I have a confession to make. I'm a cabbage lover. I've always loved boiled dinners (corned beef and cabbage), coleslaw, sauerkraut, etc. So, when I was planning my Christmas dinner menu in the 80 degree heat, coleslaw came to mind.

I started looking around online for a good recipe that wouldn't be too laborious, and I came across one by Robert Irvine. One thing I always liked when I would watch his cooking shows was the simplicity of his recipes.

I have a small kitchen, so I've scaled down my expectations a lot, and when I found his coleslaw recipe, I knew I'd found the right one. After I'd made and tasted it, I knew it was going to be the only one I'd need for the rest of my life. The only adjustment I made was to use purple cabbage, because it's more colorful and festive, and after all, it was Christmas.

Here's the recipe. If you try it, let me know how you like it. I swear, it's the best I've ever tasted. I even made the link purple, so you'd remember to use purple cabbage like I did.

Attachments

L_B

This sounds wonderful and I liked that you used purple cabbage. It makes a much nicer presentation. I love cabbage too. It is so good no matter how you prepare it. I am going to give this a try in the next little while. I will let you know what I think even though I already know that I will love it.

yenyana

Thanks for the recipe, Diane. Have to admit coleslaw does not come to mind for Holiday dinners, but actually did pick up some the other for our New Years Eve to go along with our BBQ chicken wings. Unfortunately our coleslaw was ready made from the grocery store produce section.

But when it came to our BBQ chicken wings, my husband threw down with all all kinds of sauces and the kids loved the variety from mild to hot. Okay. He did go a little overboard with the hot sauce, so the coleslaw was actually helpful to cool off the palate. lol

Next time, I shall surprise everyone and check out your coleslaw recipe. It sounds so easy to make. I also agree with L.B. that the purple cabbage does add a little extra pop. I think when food looks good, it tastes so much better!

L_B

I like coleslaw however I am not a fan of mayo. So I found this recipe. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/vinegar-coleslaw-recipe.html A great vinegar based coleslaw and is very yummy.
Thanks for this recipe. I don't care for mayo much either. I have it once in awhile. I like the sounds of this coleslaw and it is a nice change from the regular coleslaw. I am always looking for new ideas to try come the camping season. It is still away off yet but I am dreaming about it. :)

L_B

Thanks for the recipe, Diane. Have to admit coleslaw does not come to mind for Holiday dinners, but actually did pick up some the other for our New Years Eve to go along with our BBQ chicken wings. Unfortunately our coleslaw was ready made from the grocery store produce section.

But when it came to our BBQ chicken wings, my husband threw down with all all kinds of sauces and the kids loved the variety from mild to hot. Okay. He did go a little overboard with the hot sauce, so the coleslaw was actually helpful to cool off the palate. lol

Next time, I shall surprise everyone and check out your coleslaw recipe. It sounds so easy to make. I also agree with L.B. that the purple cabbage does add a little extra pop. I think when food looks good, it tastes so much better!
Oh I bet those wings were some good. The hotter the better. Wings are one of my favorite treats. I like experimenting with the different sauces and trying new flavours. I love my hot sauce though and yes the coleslaw would definitely help cool off the plate! :)

Diane Lane

That sounds delicious, @yenyana. It's been way too long since I've had wings, and I'll be the coleslaw did hit the spot after the hot wings!

@jason, I'm not a big mayo fan either, but the recipe I posted was just right. I might have to try yours one day, too, it sounds interesting.

I made another batch after this one, and I was in a rush (in addition to my hand still being bandaged from my first batch), so I used packaged slaw mix and Marie's dressing. I liked the Marie's dressing, but the packaged slaw mix was rubbery, and I won't buy it again.

I picked up another head of the purple (the store said red) cabbage, and this time I'm going to try making it with the purple cabbage and Marie's dressing. This way, I'll know how Marie's tastes with the fresh cabbage. I really liked Robert Irvine's recipe, but I don't always have that much mayonnaise on hand, since I'm not a big mayo eater, so I want to know whether I can substitute the Marie's Slaw Dressing in the future, if I'm having company or taking it somewhere, and am in a hurry.

L_B

Yes it is always good to have a backup product you can use if you are taking is somewhere else. You need something that is more convenient. We don't have Marie's dressing here so I am not sure what it is like.

Diane Lane

Yes it is always good to have a backup product you can use if you are taking is somewhere else. You need something that is more convenient. We don't have Marie's dressing here so I am not sure what it is like.
Marie's dressing isn't in the aisle with the other salad dressings, so I wasn't aware we had it, either. It's in the refrigerated section by the bags of prepared salad, so maybe double check there to see if your local store carries it. I made the last batch using that and fresh purple cabbage and carrots, and it was pretty good. It will definitely be my backup for when I'm in a hurry. If I added up the cost of what's needed for the original one I posted, it probably costs about the same for the Marie's and that recipe. I still love Robert Irvine's recipe, though, and that will be my main coleslaw dressing from now on :).

L_B

I will check the next time I am at the grocery store. I seen dressings there but I never thought of looking there. Maybe they do have it. ☺