Stove Top Chocolate Fondue for Two

Discussion in 'Dessert Recipes' started by Laurasav, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Laurasav

Laurasav Member

I have a really nice fondue set. It's great for parties with friends, but there are times when I just want a decadent dessert to share with just my husband. The husband is actually the one who came up with the idea of doing a chocolate fondue for two on the stove top. He wanted to make me something special for my birthday, which happens to be Valentine's Day.

6 oz. Nestle Toll House morsels (I like semi-sweet)
    1/2 C. Light Cream
    1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Various fruit to dip, like strawberries, apple slices, banana chunks, and orange sections
    Angel Food and/or Pound Cake
    Marshmallows
    Rice Crispy Treats

In a heavy saucepan or double boiler, melt the chocolate morsels (chips) with the light cream until smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla extract. Grab a fork and start spearing your fruit and whatever else you like, dipping it all into the chocolate. YUM! :)
  2. dissn_it

dissn_it Active Member

What a nice husband! I don't have a fondue set so will have to use the double boiler method. I love chocolate dipped strawberries. This would be really good with white chocolate, too. Thanks for the share.
  3. MissPeggy

MissPeggy Member

We've never done a lot of fondue but this sounds like it would be really good and not hard to do at all. I think I already have most of the ingredients handy so maybe I'll give it a try. :)
  4. Jenine

Jenine Member

Sounds like a wonderful recipe. I've tried the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral....I was really impressed. I dipped a marshmallow and a strawberry in it. It was so, so good.
  5. saucygal

saucygal Member

This would certainly be a lot cheaper than going to the restaurant that specializes in fondue. What a way to have a romantic evening "in"!
  6. Laurasav

Laurasav Member

We're huge fans of the Melting Pot restaurants and go as often as is economically possible! We'll be going this Thursday, as a matter of fact! (Early anniversary dinner out, since hubby has Thurs off & not the day of our anniv) When we first discovered the Melting Pot years ago, we were going at least every other month! It's too expensive though. Now we go several times a year. It's always a GREAT time out! We always get the "Big Night Out" 4-course dinner. My favorite courses are the cheese and CHOCOLATE, of course! :)
    But making the chocolate at home is so much cheaper! And I think it's just as good!
    Thanks for all your comments. :)
  7. nene5

nene5 Member

I might have to try this. My son love chocolate. I think he would have fun with this, dipping fruit and little cake bites.
  8. GwapaLala

GwapaLala Member

This sounds really sexy. I love fondue. I will make this one with my girlfriends!
  9. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. Pirz Active Member

I don't usually do chocolate fountains in public places because I know exactly what's in it - lots of added vegetable oil, canola oil or cocoa butter to make the chocolate flow easier and not clog the fountain. That takes away from the flavor of the chocolate making it always waxy and it just tastes off so I usually do my own at home. A double boiler works just fine and it really is a sexy and delicious way to enjoy treats.
  10. Briquet

Briquet Active Member

I love chocolate fondue and go to the Melting Pot too. I like the recipe you posted and will definitely have to try it some night with my husband. Thanks for sharing it!
  11. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Member

Yummy! I just got a chocolate fondue set with the company I work for. I sell Scentsy and they came out with something called Velata, which is a chocolate fondue set. The chocolate they sell is so delicious. I really am not a big chocolate fan, but I cannot resist chocolate covered strawberries or pretzels dipped in chocolate!
  12. Laurasav

Laurasav Member

nene, when I was a kid back in the 1960's & 70's, my parents would have these big fondue parties. Fondue became super popular in the USA in the late 60's, early 70's. Mom would often let me get my dippers in first before I was sent off to play in my room or watch TV in their bedroom. I always had so much fun with dipping food into that fondue! Your son will love it.:)

Yes, fondue is a sexy dessert to make with your lover, no doubt! Have fun!!! ;)
    I remember trying a chocolate fountain somewhere, maybe at a wedding, and it was NASTY! They don't use GOOD chocolate, for sure! Now with the explanation from Mrs Pirz, I understand why it can't be all that good now.