Silicone Pastry Brush

smokinhog

Do any of you have a silicone pastry brush? I've tried a small paint brush for basting as well as a regular pastry brush and I hate them both. They are so hard to clean and I never feel like they are clean enough. Opinions please!

BarbiQ

I use a small brush. To clean it, I soak it in really hot water with some dish soap to get out most of the sauce and then throw it in the dishwasher. I replace them fairly often because you never can get everything out of it. I haven't tried the silicone brush yet, but I've been wanting to get one. I assumed they would be much easier to clean.

Kateri

I have a silicone brush as well for basting. I have always found that using regular brushes always led to the bristles falling out into my food which is really disgusting. To clean my brush I've always just placed it in the top rack of the dishwasher and it comes out fine every time. If you have a dishwasher, try doing that.

rayne

How do you like the brush Kateri? I, too have the regular brush that you can never get everything out of. Does the silicon work as well as the bristled brush?

Briquet

We have a silicon brush and we like it better since we don't have to worry about bristles. We've had it now for years and it looks the same as it did when we bought it. To clean it, we rinse it and then throw it in the dishwasher.

BarbiQ

Have any of you ever tried those silicone baking pans or cookie sheets? I was curious about those. I have a silicone mitt that works really well for grabbing hot pans.

Briquet

Have any of you ever tried those silicone baking pans or cookie sheets? I was curious about those. I have a silicone mitt that works really well for grabbing hot pans.
I've heard of the SilPat that you can use in place of parchment paper on top of your regular cookie sheet. It's supposed to be great. I haven't tried any bakeware made entirely of silicone though; I'm skeptical of it for no reason I can put my finger on.

L_B

I am glad I came across this. I have been debating forever whether or not to get a silicon basting brush. I had heard so many negative things about them but by the sounds of the reviews on here I think I am going to pick one up. I was interested in the silicon cookware too. I wasn't sure how it would work in the oven. My mom use to have the glove and she loved it.

Onatah

I've always wanted to try a silicone brush since they seem lighter than other types and don't have the bristle issue however, I can't seem to give up my treasured chain baster that came in my Chicago Cutlery grill set. It's heavy but I absolutely love it.

Reactions: L_B
I bought a set of two silicone brushes. One had a 18" handle of stainless steel and the other about a 8" long handle. I found both to be useful and very easy to keep clean. The silicone heads hold a lot of sauce and really can spread it around in a complete and efficient manner.