Salsa

Discussion in 'Recipe Help & Wanted' started by geekygriller, Oct 2, 2014.

1. geekygriller

geekygriller New Member

Can someone tell me a quick and easy way to make spicy salsa? The salsas that you buy at the store just taste too bland to me. How can I make it taste like it came from an authentic Mexican restaurant?
  2. Ellyn

Ellyn Member

Tomato-based? Tomatoes, of course, crushed with bell peppers, chili peppers, and a bit of citrus juice. I wouldn't know if that's authentically Mexican because I'm all the way over in these tropical islands, but it's good enough for me especially when you can play with the ratios to suit your taste. Salsa tends to be very forgiving of experimentation.
  3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76 Member

I'm not wild about store bought salsas since they often have too much salt and vinegar in them to keep them shelf stable. The Mexican restaurants near us that make their salsa home made, both serve theirs somewhat smooth, rather than the more typical "chunky" salsas you see in the stores.

I make it at home, and it tastes somewhat similar. I just use a good brand of canned crushed tomatoes, red onion, fresh cilantro, fresh jalapeno, fresh lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. You could bump up the peppers though if you want it hotter, or try habaneros instead.
  4. pizzaman1

pizzaman1 New Member

I find that adding some good-quality hot sauce to a salsa gives an extra depth of flavor, as well as the extra heat. Just use good, fresh vegetables, throw in a pinch of sugar to help balance the acidity, and you're good to go.
  5. Briquet

Briquet Active Member

Add some peppers (jalapeno, habanero, etc) and some cilantro. I love cilantro like you wouldn't believe, so to me the best salsas have a ton of it.
  6. Leedre28@yahoo

Leedre28@yahoo New Member

Jalapeños, tomato and onions with some sea salt with cilantro. Small amount of water and blend.
  7. rayne

rayne Member

Ditto to all the above. I would also add some lime juice to taste. I used to make homemade salsa and can it during the summer. The kids used to fight over it. All ingredients were fresh and home grown. I did add a healthy portion of garlic.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Active Member

I prefer my salsa green (salsa verde), and tend to use enchilada sauce, rather than traditional chunky salsa. I sometimes add in a can of Rotel or other tomato/chili (and/or tomatillo) mix. All of the above come in spice variations, so you can choose or adjust the heat to your preference. I usually garnish with fresh cilantro, and sometimes lime, as well.
  9. L_B

L_B Active Member

Can't go wrong with a couple of shakes of Franks Hot Sauce. I put that **** on everything! :)
    You can adjust the amount for the hotness level you are looking to achieve.

When I make it salsa I have to make it so its not so hot because some people in my family
    can't handle the heat so I just add Franks Hot Sauce to mine when I am eating it!
    Diane Lane likes this.
  10. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

I like hot sauce especially in the winter because in the summer it makes me sweat too much. In winter it's awesome though!