Rotisserie

rayne

Have any of you ever cooked rotisserie style over an open fire? If I did a chicken this way, wouldn't the dripping fat cause flame ups and burn the meat? Just wondering.

joshposh

Chicken for the most part is very lean. So the fire wouldn't be that much of an issue. Just have a cup of water on the side so you can throw it on the flame to keep it from burning the meat. In Hawaii we also do whole pigs as well. Now that has a lot of fat on it. If you'r not careful and no watching the fire, it can easily burn the meat.
Puerto-Rico-2.jpg

rayne

Oh my goodness Josh. Just look at that grill! It makes my mouth water just thinking about how all that tastes. Thanks for the advise on chicken. I'll give it a try. How many people did you feed?

joshposh

Oh my goodness Josh. Just look at that grill! It makes my mouth water just thinking about how all that tastes. Thanks for the advise on chicken. I'll give it a try. How many people did you feed?
I got this picture from the internet, but back home in Hawaii, we could feed a lot of people. This is the basic set up but there are other devices and contraptions that people have built and I sweat they should have a barbecue show just like car shows. They have interesting set ups and contraptions for cooking. Anyone with decent welding skills could design something awesome. But cooking a pig like this is more for special occasions or a friend just so happen to give you a pig and we want to share it with friends and family.

BarbiQ

I have gone to a couple pig roasts in the past and it was by far the best pork I have eaten. The meat was succulent and the flavor was amazing.

That rotisserie is not playing around, is it? You could cook enough for two years on that thing. :)

joshposh

Back home to get the flavor right we would actually use big syringes and fill them with sauces and actually inject the meat with the sauce. That's the only way we could get to the meat through all of the pig fat. In fact you can do this with any type of meat if you want the sauce to penetrate the top layer to give an overall sauce flavor and not just a superficial one.

The meat is usually gone in a day or two. Hawaiians are big eaters.

syringe.jpg huli.jpg

BarbiQ

I have an injector and I've mostly used it for turkeys and chickens.

I wasn't sure what Huli-Huli sauce is so I Googled it and found that Amazon sells it. According to the reviews it is excellent but overpriced through Amazon. It sounds delicious! Now I want to get some. I'll do another search. Someone may have it much cheaper. They don't sell it in the stores here.