Roasting bananas on sticks

mollie

My kids wanted to try to roast a banana over the campfire this past weekend. I tried to tell them about the banana boats (wrapped in foil) but they wanted to just peel it and stick it on a stick. Let me tell you, the banana was gross. Anyone tried this and been successful?

rubadub

Oh my! Now that is too funny. I can't imagine that it would work. I mean sure, wrap the banana and peel in foil and roast it but not just without the peel over the fire. What did it look like in the end?

geekygriller

I don't think I ever would have thought to straight roast a banana over an open fire. I wonder what gave them the idea. The closest I have ever come to doing something like this is grilling bananas in tin foil.

ribz

How funny! This thought has never crossed my mind either. Kids will be kids though. I mean we roast other things over an open fire so why not a banana? I won't try it though now that I know it doesn't work.

Athenagdlyt

It's not unusual that kids can be very experimental while having fun during camps. There are tougher bananas that can stand roasting. Try the Apple banana variety, sometimes called Candy banana. This type is also great for frying and cooking in caramel sauce. When roasting , you may remove the peel for faster cooking without worrying that the fleshy fruit will come off like goo.

Jessi

Ew. Roasting the whole banana like that would surely end up mushy.

I HAVE seen some other people have success with it when using small pieces that are on the underripe side (to avoid the mushiness) like this:

Canbeef

I can't get my kids to eat ripe bananas so I doubt they'd like fire roasted bananas, especially if they are mushy. I would say the roasted banana would be good with ice cream.

L_B

Leave it to children to come up with such an idea. Their little minds are always thinking so creatively. Even if it didn't turn out so great it was worth a try. I think it's great. I wonder what idea they will come up with next. You will have to keep us posted.

joshposh

In the Philippines they have a dish banana cues. They take the banana and put a stick through it, dip it into some brown sugar, and then deep fry it. It is very sweet because of the brown sugar. It is something yo might want to try if you plan to deep fry. Kids love it because it is sweet.

tiewunon

Josh,
I remember those as a child growing up at Clark Air Base and yes they were awesome.
Have never tried doing bananas myself, however my wife is hispanic and she often throws 1 or 2 plaintains on the grill skin and all while cooking. They taste pretty good.

Kateri

This sounds like something that my kids would want to try to do. I never realized that you could cook bananas over the camp fire; I would just assume that they would get all mushy. Those deep fried bananas look really delicious though. I have a ton of bananas right now, so this might be something to have for dessert tonight.

joshposh

This sounds like something that my kids would want to try to do. I never realized that you could cook bananas over the camp fire; I would just assume that they would get all mushy. Those deep fried bananas look really delicious though. I have a ton of bananas right now, so this might be something to have for dessert tonight.
I wouldn't worry about it being ripe enough to eat either. The coating of brown sugar will make it ultra sweet. But yes, it will taste even better if the bananas are ripe.

Bananacue Recipe
Ingredients
  • 6 pieces saging na saba (Asian plantains)
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 4 cups cooking oil
Cooking Procedure
  1. Heat a cooking pot then pour-in cooking oil.
  2. When the oil becomes hot, deep fry the bananas for 2 minutes.
  3. Gradually put-in the brown sugar, adjust the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until the melted brown sugar coats the bananas. Note: Gently stir the bananas so that it can get coated with melted brown sugar easily.
  4. Remove the cooked bananas one by one and immediately skewer using a bamboo skewer. Note: 2 pieces per skewer is recommended.
  5. Let cool then serve with cold soda.
  6. Share and enjoy!

L_B

I had had fried bananas before and they were really good. They were fried in butter with a little brown sugar added. In order them not to get too mushy you had to use a banana that was from and not quite ripe. If you use ripe bananas it doesn't work at all.