Refrigerator pickles

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by BBQueen, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BBQueen

BBQueen Active Member

My sister gave me this recipe for refrigerator pickles that I cannot wait to try. I have a ton of fresh cucumbers that I need to use up. Basically you thinly slice up 2 small onions and 6 cups of cucumbers. Layer those two items in a glass container (she uses quart jars). In a separate bowl mix 2 TBSP of canning salt, 1 tsp of celery salt, 1 3/4 cup of sugar, and 1 c of cider or white vinegar. Continue mixing those until sugar is full dissolved and then pour over the cucumbers and seal the jar. The pickles will be ready to eat in 24 hours and can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 months.
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. shaun

shaun Active Member

I recently started making pickled vegetables without the sugar and vinegar by fermenting the vegetables. I don't really see the point in soaking vegetables in sugar, you are making a healthy food very unhealthy, and fermented vegetables can be just as good as vegetables pickled in sugar. Sauerkraut is my favorite.
  3. dissn_it

dissn_it Active Member

My mom makes refrigerator pickles all the time. I am not sure how she makes them but they are not sweet at all. I'll have to get the recipe from her. They are really good! We make a very simple dish with sliced cucumbers, onions and cover them with white vinegar. We just set it all in the fridge for a couple of hours and they are good to eat. It is a light pickled flavor combined with that crisp cucumber flavor still there.
  4. Briquet

Briquet Active Member

My mother makes refrigerator pickles quite a bit too. I haven't had them in years but I am pretty sure hers are a little bit sweet, so I imagine she uses a similar recipe.
  5. anonamoss

anonamoss Member

I was always under the impression that pickles were time consuming and difficult. I don't know why I ever assumed it was difficult. I guess it's just been so easy for me to buy them from the store. I also had no idea they could be made in the refrigerator. I will try this with garlic. Your recipe seems great!
  6. shaun

shaun Active Member

I make my own pickles by fermenting in a jar. It's easy, good for you and tastes better than the pickles soaked in a sugar solution sold at the grocery store. All you need is water and plenty of salt, make sure the water covers the pickles and leave to ferment for a week, then place in the fridge for as long as you like. The flavor develops with time.
  7. dconklin

dconklin Active Member

How much salt are you talking? We are on a lower sodium diet then many other households here. That and I have to have garlic in my pickles, would you think that garlic cloves chopped should be added with the water and salt or should it wait a bit? We will eat garlic raw while chopping it so too much garlic is never an issue in our house :)
  8. shaun

shaun Active Member

I don't eat any processed food. I season the food I cook with sea salt, sea salt is good for you, lots of essential minerals. Most of the salt is in the brine and you will not be eating the brine. Salt is not an issue for most people, not many people are salt sensitive.
  9. jovan107

jovan107 Member

This is a great recipe. I have a few cucumbers that I have to use, but I will try this recipe and see how it turns out.
  10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76 Member

This sounds really interesting, in particular, the absence of "pickling spices" and the addition of celery salt.

I've been toying with making home made fridge pickles as well, and a few of the challenges I've had so far are the pickling herbs and spices would get "stuck" to the pickles too much, the flavors they imparted were a bit too strong -especially the clove, and the vinegar to water ratios in the recipes I've tried were too high.

I was thinking of finding a recipe without all those pickling spices, something similar, and this may fit the bill. Thanks for sharing!
  11. Ruth B

Ruth B New Member

I can't put up a recipe, as I throw in the kitchen sink, and I don't measure. But I will say that I use salt, dill, a sweetener of some kind, garlic, and natural vinegar. I used honey and sugar (on separate occasions), as well as stevia. I don't like sweet pickles, but I do like just enough to take the edge off the bitter.

That's the really cool thing about fridge pickles. I make what I feel like, and I experiment. I do have a really large jar that whole cucumbers will fit in. Once I was done with some jarred jalapeno's, so I threw in the juice. Oh wow, that put just a bit of an 'edge' on them without making them hot. Also, once I had some bread and butter pickles I got at the farmer's market and I threw that juice in when I was done. Again the hodgepodge of ingredients created an awesome taste. I keep waiting for that hodgepodge to go the other way for me into yuck, but it never has.

Once I grabbed up some cukes before I was done with my big jar. I had to slice these as I was out of really big jars, and start another brine. This batch tastes completely different. I don't have anything 'odd' in them. I still love them.

I would say that since I can make my own unique tastes from my own fridge pickles, it really makes the store bought kind extremely disappointing as I can make mine taste unique, no matter if no 'different' type things go in it.
  12. Cappy

Cappy Active Member

13. I love pickles of all kinds and cannot wait to try this recipe. I am diabetic so I will use stevia in my recipe. My daughter and grandson are big pickle lovers and it is hard for me to keep them around for more than a few days!
  14. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 New Member

I just started pickling my Cucumbers this year and I can say I have never tried to add onion, though I bet it puts a lot of real flavor into the Pickles, I will have to give that a go. I am still getting so many cucumbers right now that I can barely keep up on eating them.
  15. L_B

L_B Active Member

My Dad use to make these all the time. I remember they were so good. I am pretty sure by the sounds of it that it was the exact same recipe. If not then it was very close! I have never made them myself even though I have thought about it many times. I love pickles of any kind but I have never attempted to make them before.
  16. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Active Member

I think my mom made pickles at one point, but it's been years, and I'm sure she doesn't have the recipe now. I'll have to see about getting a couple of jars, cucumbers, and whatever else is required, and giving one or two of these recipes a go. I like many different types of pickles, so it should be interesting. Are the cucumbers special ones for pickling, or normal sized cucumbers, just cut up or used whole?
  17. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

I love pickles and the chance to try a new recipe is great. Funny enough my older kid loves pickles too, I don't thunk it's normal a kid love them so much. My dad makes good ones, just too spicy.