Mongolian Bar-B-Que

R

R. Paradon

Every Mongolian BBQ I have gone to seems to use a large variety of meats. I don't know if this because years ago they were nomadic and ate what they could or another reason but the sause they use is delicious.

10 Crushed Black Peppercorns
4 Star Anise
4 lg Cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 c Rice Wine Or Sherry
1-2 tbsp Fresh Ginger Root, Grated
3 c Scallions Or Leeks, Chopped
3 c Cilantro (loosely packed)
1 1/2 c Dark Soy Sauce
6 c Water
1 tbsp Sugar

Directions

1. Simmer the soy sauce, water, peppercorns, anise and garlic for a few minutes in a saucepan, then strain and cool.
2. Add the wine, sugar, ginger root, 2 cups of the scallions or leeks and 2 cups of the Cilantro. Simmer a few more minutes, strain, return to pan, and add remaining scallions and cilantro.

You can use this as a marinade or anything else. I am thinking about tossing some pork in my crock pot . Ginger always compliments pork.

J

Jessi

10 Crushed Black Peppercorns
Does anyone else ever feel silly when they count out single peppercorns? :rolleyes:

Otherwise, that sounds yummy. I love Mongolian BBQ. You're right about ginger going so well with pork.

O

ohiotom76

This sounds really good. I was just looking at another similar recipe for Mongolian pork chops on another site, but it was more complicated and didn't seem very authentic flavor-wise. Does it form a glaze on the meat when you cook with it?

R

R. Paradon

Does anyone else ever feel silly when they count out single peppercorns? :rolleyes:

Otherwise, that sounds yummy. I love Mongolian BBQ. You're right about ginger going so well with pork.
I agree with you! 1,2,3...oops that one got away....ah...4 :) But when I try something new I follow the recipe to the "T" and then the next time I will change it to my preference!

@ ohiotom, no, I don't think there is enough sugar content, but if you used it in a very hot wok it may.

H

Hilt

I try to follow all recipes but after the second time of making something new I try to experiment, I guess its just in my nature. And that sounds amazing too! I have not had any Mongolian food in years, might need to change that. :D