Making roasted nuts

Hilt

I love these and the family is starting to get into the idea of making their own rather than buying them. It is a win-win for me. Who here loves to make their own too over an open fire?

DipsyDo

Is this kinda like "Chestnuts roasting on a open fire?" Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I do remember roasting chestnuts when I was a kid but we did them in the oven instead of on an open fire. It sounds like a good activity if you're camping.

Burg14

Ha ha... love that Christmas song. What kind of nuts are you roasting? What do you do, just put them on a cookie sheet over the fire? I would love to try it. Do you sprinkle any spices on them?

Briquet

Are you going to just roast them with a little salt or do you want them all encrusted with a cinnamon sugar glaze? If you end up trying the latter, let me know how it goes, since my husband loves those.

Hilt

That is funny, when I was a kid we only put pumpkin seeds in the oven and I have never tried it with anything else. I am sure the song comes to mind for many people too but really my sister turned me onto the idea. I guess this is something she did with her kids that we never knew about.

Right now the favorite from everyone is almonds, put a little cinnamon in and watch the magic happen. Another one that I love (that the kids don't like) is spicy ones with cayenne. I guess the cayenne is a little too much for the kids but I really like it.

Kateri

I have made roasted nuts before, but it was in the oven. I've made them both ways with just salt and then with salt and rosemary. I really like the idea of toasting almonds with cinnamon on them. This sounds like a delicious, healthy treat. Do you spray the baking sheet with cooking oil first when roasting them over the campfire?

Hilt

Right now I try to tame down the salt. Years ago I would overdo it and now I just can't stand overly salted snacks, even if they are the ones I make myself.

You should grease the sheet but don't go overboard with it, sometimes you might think you need just a little more but you really don't. Spread it even and lightly otherwise you might regret it (and it is a mess to deal with).