Making a smoker/BBq better!

Acasper708

So I just got this guy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364577023.805975.jpg
And want to make the heat more even and efficient in the main body. I've seen mods on the Internet by adding plates in the bottom and adding a extension tube on the stack.
What have you guys done?

khartig

The basket makes a nice difference. The charcoal burns longer and the temp is more constant. It was easy to make and cheap too.

khartig

I've read the article on amazingribs and found it pretty informative, that's where I got the idea to extend the chimney and the basket. I'll be doing the baffle and convection plates pretty soon so I can increase the amount of meat I can smoke since I may be catering my buddies wedding this fall. Between that and my drum smoker I should be able to feed a good size group.

sheepdad

I've seen gasket kits on ebay for your smoker in the past. Those things are notorious for being leaky. Tightening things up will not only keep your temps stable but will help on the charcoal consumption in check. I recommend doing the heat diverter mod if you can. It will really take your smokes up a level or 2.

khartig

I picked up some gasket material on-line and got enough to do my drum and my offset. I got the drum done, I've been too bust with my rub business to do my offset. It will be happening soon, I think.