Killer Artichokes

rayne

I'm a big fan of artichokes but had never thought about grilling them. Came across this recipe the other day that sounds scrumptious. I think I'll head to the grocery store today and have these "Killer Artichokes" tonight for dinner.

Briquet

I love boiled artichokes with melted butter. I certainly wouldn't mind adding in the shallots and garlic and a little time on the grill. Thanks for the recipe!

Artichokes is one thing I have honestly never tried. Everyone has told me how good it is, but it's a one of those vegetables that intimidates me. This recipe seems simple enough, I might have to give it a shot. Thanks for the idea!

Canbeef

I'm a big fan of artichokes but had never thought about grilling them. Came across this recipe the other day that sounds scrumptious. I think I'll head to the grocery store today and have these "Killer Artichokes" tonight for dinner.
Let us know how it turns out. I never cook mine properly and everyone complains they don't like it, so I don't bother cooking it anymore. I love artichokes with butter. I buy them pickled to put in my pasta salad and it's really good.

I love artichokes! I have never thought to grill them. This sounds so good. We will be grilling for a birthday this weekend. I am going to give this one a try. I will let ya'll know how it turns out!

grillqueen79

I have only recently discovered a love of artichokes, but I will definitely be giving these a try. Surprisingly, even my kids love them if you roast them!

ohiotom76

Artichokes is one thing I have honestly never tried. Everyone has told me how good it is, but it's a one of those vegetables that intimidates me. This recipe seems simple enough, I might have to give it a shot. Thanks for the idea!
If you are intimidated by all the peeling and chopping to get to the heart of a fresh artichoke, you can instead just buy them already prepared in the freezer section. Artichokes are such hearty vegetables, they they don't suffer too much damage from being frozen. You just need to thaw them out completely and pat them dry with paper towel before cooking with them.

There is also the canned variety, but they have a very brine-y taste, and are often quite salty. The frozen ones are a step up in my opinion if fresh ones aren't an option.

If you happen to have a pressure cooker, fresh artichokes cook up fantastic in them. I would almost be more inclined to cook them in the pressure cooker first then grill them, so the don't remain too tough and chewy. But I haven't tried grilling them yet personally. I usually just chop them up and cook them into a pasta sauce.

I learned to eat artichokes when I was a child living in Morrocco. My mom would by them from a vegetable vender who would come by the house every morning with all kinds of vegies. They were huge. She would simply boil them whole and we would pull the leaves off, dip them in lemon butter and pull the flesh off the base of the leaves with our teeth. They were just so good. I recently saw them grilled on the show on Travel Channel that I think is called Great American Grillers where they go to different cities and have a grilling competition. Looks interesting and I am going to have to try it.

ohiotom76

The artichoke hearts have a really great meaty texture to them that is very satisfying, I would say more so than even mushrooms. I would consider them a pretty good option if you are vegan or vegetarian and are trying to cook something that both meat eaters and vegetarians would like.

When I cooked them in restaurants, we would just quarter the canned artichoke hearts and do a flour - batter - flour coating on them with a heavily cajun seasoned flour, then deep fry them and serve them with a mixture of mayo and horseradish.