Ideas wanted: Making my own replacement grill rack

Onatah

We would love to just purchase a new grill but that isn't in the financial cards right now. Our grill rack is a hot mess and really needs to be replaced. She's served us well and time to retire. I was hoping some of you may have ideas for how to make a replacement rack or maybe help me think outside the box in repurposing something else to use as a grill rack.

Joseph Mwai

hey :) you could try and score a grill pan. it's inexpensive and will still give you the smoky flavor that you desire for your berbeque . all hope is not lost.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Two things. Check craigslist. Find someone giving away a grill with the same size grates. Or try Home Depot / Lowes and see if you can find a rack cheap that fits.

L_B

I found some racks for mine at a yard sale one time. Not sure how popular yard sales are in your area. Also, have you checked ebay? It never ceases to amaze me the things that you can find on ebay.

yenyana

Hmm, thinking outside of the box. I do that all the time. Now, when it comes to a idea for a replacement BBQ grill rack, two ideas pop into my head.

First, how about just pulling our the rack in your oven and placing it on the grill?
Second, do you have any wire chicken wire hanging around? Could use that to place on top of your old BBQ grill?

Hmm, pretty certain, my husband would veto these ideas. Next best thing, to save some money is going to the flea market. This time of year, people are looking for ways to get rid of items that won't be used, as often.

Good luck!

Reactions: L_B

Diane Lane

These are all great ideas. I'm always needing to repurpose things around here, as well. If you do use something that's designed for another purpose, such as chicken wire, just make sure it's not coated with anything hazardous. There's a Materials section on Craigslist that might have something, and people usually list for low prices. Of course, you could look on there or post for the actual replacement rack, as well. Just remember to be careful and meet the person in a public location, and don't go alone. Another thought is Freecycle and TrashNothing. Sometimes they're one and the same, and other times seem to be run separately, but regardless, they're both free. You could also try Cheapcycle.

L_B

I have also used my oven racks and they work great. I kept some put of an old oven I was getting rid of.

cortana

NOW is a great time to replace your grill rack. The racks can be bought on sale at Walmart/Target (or any more respectable store relative to grilling). Winter is a great time to stock up on the grill items, because most people associate their grill with summer.

Not us. We wipe the snow off and grill ribs like it's 4th of July.

Reactions: L_B

L_B

NOW is a great time to replace your grill rack. The racks can be bought on sale at Walmart/Target (or any more respectable store relative to grilling). Winter is a great time to stock up on the grill items, because most people associate their grill with summer.

Not us. We wipe the snow off and grill ribs like it's 4th of July.
It is great if you can do that. I live in apartment building with no deck so we have to wait until the snow melts before we can get out and bbq. If I had a deck I would be bbqing all year too. I love it!! Food tastes so much better when it is cooked outside!! :)