Homemade egg rolls

TopChef

For some reason I can't remember, we sometimes make homemade egg rolls on Valentine's Day. I got the wrappers today and also found a package of pre-cut purple cabbage with a mark-down sticker at the grocery store today.

I usually make a pot of rice (white or brown). I brown ground beef with some Chinese 5-spice, with shredded purple cabbage (you can use regular cabbage) and shredded carrots, and then combine the meat and vegetable mixture with the rice. I roll this filling in egg roll wrappers and seal with egg white. Then I deep fry them. They are so good, even the next day, warmed up in a toaster oven.

grillqueen79

I am going to have to give this a try TopChef! My husband loves Chinese food and I have to make a special trip to a grocery store across down to buy eggrolls for him.

Charcoal

My aunt makes excellent egg rolls, and she is going to make a lot for my nephew's birthday on Saturday. She mixes ground beef or lean pork, shredded cabbage and carrots, minced garlic and onions, and finely chopped water chestnuts together then season it with salt and pepper.

When I was in high school in San Antonio, my dad was in the Air Force and stationed at Lackland AFB. One of his jobs there was as commander of the language school. This is where students from different countries came to learn American English and attended flight school. We had students there from China and Japan, and they would come over to the house on the weekends and share their different styles of cooking. I was taught how to make egg roll wrappers from scratch and still make them that way,,, it was just flour and hot water and then kneaded well and rolled out. This made the best wrappers. Of course, we had students from other countries,,, Germany, countries in South America, India, Iraq, Spain, ect. Needless to say, I learned to make dishes from many different countries. It was a wonderful experience to get cooking lessons from these gentlemen and learn about different cultures.