Grilled Grilled Rice

Heatmiser

My wife does something similar with eggs where she makes an omelette over the camp fire while we are camping.
She wraps it all up in Aluminum foil and closes it all really tightly and the foil will eventually blow up like a balloon until the steam starts escaping.

Briquet

I've never tried making rice on the grill. I think I might, but I'm not sure I'd use the recipe you linked. I don't like ketchup very much so I tend to steer clear of recipes that use it.

Diane Lane

My wife does something similar with eggs where she makes an omelette over the camp fire while we are camping.
She wraps it all up in Aluminum foil and closes it all really tightly and the foil will eventually blow up like a balloon until the steam starts escaping.
I've never heard of that, either. Is it something she invented? I'd love a recipe if you get a chance, since that would be my only method of cooking if a hurricane hits at some point and I'm stuck here without power.

Kateri

I've never had rice on the grill either. I bet that tastes really good, minus the ketchup of course. I have used this method quite often when grilling, but mostly when we are camping. It just makes things so much easier and less messy.

Heatmiser

I've never heard of that, either. Is it something she invented? I'd love a recipe if you get a chance, since that would be my only method of cooking if a hurricane hits at some point and I'm stuck here without power.
Yes, I believe it's something she invented, so she doesn't really have a recipe.
Basically, she cuts the foil in 12x12 squares and just puts a small kink in the foil so anything liquid won't run off. She puts Eggs, and all of the Omelet fixings you want and then wraps it up in about 6 layers of foil (it gets nice and air tight).
Eventually, everything starts getting warm and creating steam and will puff up (like Jiffy Pop if you're old enough to remember that). Just give it a couple more minutes after it pops up and it's done.

Diane Lane

Yes, I believe it's something she invented, so she doesn't really have a recipe.
Basically, she cuts the foil in 12x12 squares and just puts a small kink in the foil so anything liquid won't run off. She puts Eggs, and all of the Omelet fixings you want and then wraps it up in about 6 layers of foil (it gets nice and air tight).
Eventually, everything starts getting warm and creating steam and will puff up (like Jiffy Pop if you're old enough to remember that). Just give it a couple more minutes after it pops up and it's done.
That sounds really delicious. Yes, I definitely remember Jiffy Pop, it always fascinated me as a child! So, does she fold over the top of the foil to seal it?

joshposh

An open fire is just a heat source. You can use pots and pans, and even tin foil to cook on open fires. I think everyone has gotten use to modern appliances. Just look at it as a heat source and use your pots in the normal manner. I use tin foil all the time when I cook fish over the fire. I don' like it getting burned so i wrap it up with some sauces and herbs and it comes out just like oven baked fish. Just check the height of the fire and it's charcoal.

Reactions: L_B
Fair point, and yet I'd never have considered using a pot on my grill. Yet it's just a heat source. If it gets hot enough it should surely be possible.

Diane Lane

An open fire is just a heat source. You can use pots and pans, and even tin foil to cook on open fires. I think everyone has gotten use to modern appliances. Just look at it as a heat source and use your pots in the normal manner. I use tin foil all the time when I cook fish over the fire. I don' like it getting burned so i wrap it up with some sauces and herbs and it comes out just like oven baked fish. Just check the height of the fire and it's charcoal.
@joshposh Do you use heavy duty foil, Josh, and if so, how many sheets? I think I might use the disposable pie plates or other pans, and wrap a piece or two of foil around them to seal, depending on how much I was going to cook.

joshposh

@joshposh Do you use heavy duty foil, Josh, and if so, how many sheets? I think I might use the disposable pie plates or other pans, and wrap a piece or two of foil around them to seal, depending on how much I was going to cook.
Those aluminum/tin foil pie plates will work just fine. I just use aluminum foil because it is readily available. I don't use my good pots and pans for an open fire. You can get real cheap pans for the outdoor fire. An open fire will burn the metal, hence the reason for using aluminum foil on the outside of the pots and pans and not let the flames hit them directly.

Diane Lane

Those aluminum/tin foil pie plates will work just fine. I just use aluminum foil because it is readily available. I don't use my good pots and pans for an open fire. You can get real cheap pans for the outdoor fire. An open fire will burn the metal, hence the reason for using aluminum foil on the outside of the pots and pans and not let the flames hit them directly.
Ah, that's a good idea. I never would have thought to line the outside of the pots, regardless of how inexpensive they were. I'm filing that away for when I can get a big enough pit to need pans. Is there somewhere in particular you get the cheap pans? I guess Goodwill or discount stores would do the trick, or do you buy them at a sporting goods or camping supply store?

L_B

I bought the instant rice (5 minute rice) when we went camping one time. I didn't have a whole lot of room on my grill so I bought an empty coffee can with me. I rinsed it well so it didn't smell like coffee then I poured in the hot water, rice and butter, added a can of mixed veggies and put the lid back on. By the time the meat was done on the bbq my rice was ready. It turned out perfect. :)