Grilled Grilled meatloaf

G

Gail

This is a recipe that we have been making all summer long on the grill and it is delicious! We are a meat and potatoes kind of family so if you throw this and a couple of foil wrapped potatoes on the grill we are good to go!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • Additional ketchup, optional
Directions
  • In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef
  • over mixture and mix well. Shape into two loaves. Place a sheet of
  • heavy-duty foil in center of grill. Place meat loaves on foil (do
  • not seal foil).
  • Prepare grill for indirect heat; grill meat, covered, over indirect
  • medium heat for 50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a
  • meat thermometer reads 160°. Brush tops with additional ketchup
  • if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2
  • loaves (4 servings each).

T

TopChef

I would love to try meatloaf on the grill! I am not a fan of oats in a meatloaf, though. Do you think cooked rice would work as well (that is what I typically put in my meatloaf), or do you think the firmer oats are necessary for holding the loaf together on the grill?

E

evelynmcgregor

I have done meatloaf on the grill for a good number of years. I just use my favorite meatloaf recipe. But I put it in a meatloaf pan, then I put another meatloaf pan on the grill with frozen vegies in it (I like mixed vegies) and cover it with foil. I leave a bit of distance between the two pans and put potatoes across the gap. About 45 minutes later, I have dinner. Occasionally, I also put corn in the husk around the outer edges of the grill,,, soak the corn in water for about 30 min so the husks do not dry out to much.

S

shazr

I have never made meatloaf on the grill. We male it often in the oven. I don't like oats in meatloaf either. I think we will try this recipe. I love the idea of not heating up the house with the oven.

S

sthrnfriedchick

We make meatloaf on the grill and in the oven all of the time because it is one of our family favorites! This recipe sounds very similar to ours, although sometimes we put cheddar cheese and jalapenos in ours.

S

shazr

Oh, I like the sound of cheddar cheese and meatloaf. I have never added any cheese to the meatloaf before. Do you mix it in or add it on top? Do you always use cheddar or have you switched it up before?

E

evelynmcgregor

I have been doing meatloaf on the grill for years. It gives the meat such a lovely flavour. I put foil around the bottom of the pan and then use another meatloaf pan and put frozen vegies and some butter in it wrapped in foil, then put potatoes across between the pans,, yum.

O

ohiotom76

I've never had meatloaf cooked over coals or in a smoker, but that sounds like it would impart a delicious taste on the whole thing, and would love to try that some time.

When I initially read this recipe I assumed you would be making big patties out of the meatloaf instead of the traditional loaf shape. But I bet you that would work too - just brush the ketchup on top of one side of the patty towards the end. It would also cut down on cooking times.

C

Canbeef

I think this is a great idea. My kids aren't fond of meatloaf and I've tried many different recipes This makes it sound like a giant burger on the grill. Does it need a pan or can you just put it directly on the heat on low?