Grilled Apple Crisp

L_B

I just came across this recipe and I can't wait for grilling season to get here so I can give it a try. It looks so good. Desserts are always such a treat when you are grilling.

http://www.rd.com/food/recipes-cooking/grilled-apple-crisp-recipe/

Ingredients
  • 10 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • Vanilla ice cream, optional

• How to make it

Place the apple slices on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24 inches x 12 inches). In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.

Fold foil around apple mixture and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Serves 6.

Diane Lane

That sounds delicious. @L_B do you usually use a gas grill, or would you make this over an open flame? I'm going to have to save a lot of these recipes until I get a larger grill, because they all sound yummy. I make something similar in the oven, and since my grill is so small, I tend to make something quick and easy like this in the oven while I've got the grill going. It doesn't take long, so the house doesn't heat much much, and it's a time saver to do both at the same time.

oportosanto

That sounds delicious indeed, thanks for sharing that recipe. I do love to grill fruits too, for example putting pinneapple on the grill results on something delicious!

L_B

That sounds delicious. @L_B do you usually use a gas grill, or would you make this over an open flame? I'm going to have to save a lot of these recipes until I get a larger grill, because they all sound yummy. I make something similar in the oven, and since my grill is so small, I tend to make something quick and easy like this in the oven while I've got the grill going. It doesn't take long, so the house doesn't heat much much, and it's a time saver to do both at the same time.
It can be done either way. If you do it over an open flame then you have to watch it more carefully but I have done it both ways and it always turns out get. It is always a hit!

Diane Lane

I've never tried grilling fruit, other than occasionally when I've included it in skewers. I do love pineapple, so that's something I'd definitely consider grilling @oportosanto, thanks for the idea. It's a beautiful day here, after torrential rains, so I'm sure it won't be long before the scent of grilled food starts wafting through my windows.

oportosanto

Grilling pineapple and bananas have to be something delicious. No problems Diane, glad that you enjoyed the idea, I am sure you'll love it!