Got Some New York Strip Steaks

Discussion in 'Whats cooking?' started by tommymac, Aug 1, 2012.

1. tommymac

tommymac Member

Behold! I have returned from the hunt! And from the land of Grocery, I have brought back with me the spoils! I bagged two New York Strip steaks. It was a tough battle, but I won. And now, I will prepare them for grilling!

Would anyone like to throw out some suggestions on how to handle these beautiful specimens of meat?
  2. slamoutte

slamoutte New Member

These steaks are too good for marinating. Just throw a little bit of salt on them and let them sit for an hours or so. Then season it with some pepper and put them on the grill. The natural juices will be enough to enjoy a delicious New York Strip steak.
  3. tommymac

tommymac Member

That's almost exactly what I ended up doing.

What do you think, folks? Do you have a favorite marinade?
  4. beckyv1265

beckyv1265 Active Member

I love Teryaki marinade. But i don't usualy marinade good steaks. I do that for poorer cuts of meat.
  5. I like a nice bourbon marinade myself. Booze and food always get a thumbs up in my book!
  6. grillqueen79

grillqueen79 Active Member

We are having strip steaks for dinner tonight with some shrimp sauteed in butter and parmasean cheese, and a side salad. We are celebrating hubby's competion of his first semester of college with all A's!
  7. TopChef

TopChef Active Member

I like mine Tuscan style. I set them in olive oil with kosher salt for awhile. Then, after grilling, I serve with wedges of lemon to squeeze on the steak. Delicious!
  8. dissn_it

dissn_it Active Member

Congrats on your success! I would also avoid marinading a good steak. Simply season with a little salt and black pepper and let the flavor of the steak come through.
  9. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Same here. When it's a good cut, I skip the marinade. Marinades are to make lesser cuts taste really good still. I'm glad to hear that you ended up keeping it simple and enjoying the meat for what it was.
  10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76 Member

Brush them with a little garlic flavored olive oil, sea salt and black pepper, and tear up some parsley and sprinkle it on 'em. I've become a huge fan of the garlic olive oil, especially when cooking meat at high heat on a grill since you get the flavor without worrying about the garlic bits scorching. And it tastes more like fresh garlic than garlic powder does.
  11. greenmachine

greenmachine Member

i like to marinade my steaks in Italian salad dressing. It makes steaks so tender and juicy. The aroma from it while grilling is divine. After the steaks are cooked you don't taste the Italian dressing. I like to top my steaks with sauteed onions and mushrooms. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
  12. cookinfool

cookinfool Member

Ive been craving garlic myself. Id grill em up plain and baste them with clarified butter with fresh barlic pressed into it. Finish with some fresh ground pepper, yum! Toasted sourdough bread is also amazing on the grill and baster in the garlic butter.
  13. TheMaster

TheMaster Member

I hope that your New Yorks are better than my latest buy of the New Yorks, they just weren't that good.. I'm going to buy top Sirloin next time.