Gas vs. Charcoal

Discussion in 'Grilling Discussion' started by DipsyDo, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DipsyDo

DipsyDo Member

Year ago when I first started grilling I couldn't wrap my head around using gas. It had always been charcoal or nothing. I didn't come around until some neighbors had us over for dinner and cooked on a gas grill. I found it was just as good, not as messy and took less time. Which method do you prefer?
  2. Guy g

Guy g Member

I'm a gasser. However the taste of charcoal is defiantly better, but the time difference makes gas easier.
  3. Amelie

Amelie Member

I know that gas takes less time, but I still prefer to grill on charcoal. The taste is just so good and nothing can top it in my opinion.
  4. Cole

Cole Member

It really depends! I like either. My uncle has always used a gas grill for as long as I can remember. My dad, on the other hand, prefers to use a charcoal grill.
  5. jason

jason Nec timeo, nec sperno Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use both. If it is something quick like hotdogs and hamburgers I tend to use the gasser. Unless it is large cookout and will be grilling for a while then I use the charcoal for them.

I do like the charcoal more though. The gasser is just so easy for a quick lunch or dinner.
  6. joshposh

joshposh Active Member

It depends on the wood that you use to cook with. Back in Hawaii we use Kiawe food and the flavor is different from traditional store bought match light charcoal. I think propane is has a consistent flavor across the board. Wood has different flavors and age. So you get different flavors with different wood.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Active Member

I've mainly used charcoal, but sometimes it'd be great to have the ease of use and speed of being able to cook on a gas grill. I think my favorite would be dual-fuel, so I could have the best of both worlds, but for right now, I'm using a hibachi.
  8. Matt pike

Matt pike New Member

I prefer gas. Much faster and easier, plus I'm less likely to mess up my steaks after having a few too many drinks :thumb:
    Guy g likes this.
  9. JohnnyRockford

JohnnyRockford New Member

Until recently I was only a charcoal/wood guy. But after watching my neighbor push a button and be ready to grill in minutes, I came around to the idea of a gas grill. Finally bought myself a Weber gas grill this spring. I prefer the smokey flavor from the coals, but gas is convenient when I'm in a hurry.
    Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Active Member

I would like to get a small gas grill, so I could use it when I have less time to spend cooking, but still want the food to be grilled. I have a couple of grill pans to use on the stove, but it's just not the same, in my opinion. Charcoal is still my preference, since I enjoy the smoky flavor, but let's face it, sometimes it just takes too long.
  11. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Wood or Charcoal all the way. Better flavor and slower cook
  12. Heatmiser

Heatmiser New Member

If you need high heat Charcoal is the way to go. There are very few gas grills that can get the heat as hot as a small weber kettle. That said, most of the time, that much heat isn't needed (although if you want nice searing on your steaks it's needed).

There is a reason that steakhouses throughout the country cook with gas (at the prices they charge, they can use whatever fuel they want, their customers will pay for it). It's quick, convenient, and gets the job done.

Sure, charcoal smells better while cooking and leaves a smokier taste (although, you can add wood chips to your gas grill to get smoke as well). A lot of people say "Charcoal tastes better", but the truth is, you don't eat the charcoal!

A gas grill with a wood smoker box will produce a finished product that your guests will keep coming back for.
    Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Active Member

I looked around, and was surprised at how reasonable the prices are for the wood smoker boxes. If I get a larger grill, I will definitely buy one of those, as well. I was just reading an article that states for hibachis (which is what I have), you can put the smoke wood on the one side, and use them as coals, or I guess you could just put it below both sides, depending on how much meat you planned to cook.
  14. Kateri

Kateri Member

I have always been a fan of gas grills. I don't really like the flavor of charcoal on most meats. I remember the first time my husband and I used wood smoker chips, we didn't realize that you were supposed to soak the chips first and we just threw a bunch of them on the grill. That was one mistake we will never make again. The flavor was so strong that we couldn't even eat the chicken we made.
    Diane Lane likes this.
  15. LaTuFu

LaTuFu New Member

The Weber Q series is an excellent small gas grill. The 1000/2000 series have the advantage of being portable, too, if you need that.

Pretty versatile, too.
    Diane Lane likes this.
  16. tiewunon

tiewunon Active Member

I double dip bouncing back between gas and charcoal. Each has a place in my opinion which means nothing.

Like LaTuFu said Weber makes a nice portable grill. I would be remiss though in not mentioning this portable grill a Holland Companion. Very versatile its a mizer on gas and well built. Almost impossible to burn anything on it. Has very small BTU rating if that's an issue for you.

In this section on the forum someone asked about grilling bacon. Most folks who responded did not have much success. On the Holland it excels at cooking bacon by its design you don't get the flareups associated with other gassers. Holland is just not a one hit wonder makes the best chicken I've ever had. Crisps skin up like a potato chip. If time is of the essence to you a Holland Grill is not for you.
    Diane Lane likes this.