Free bricks for a fire pit

BarbiQ

A friend of ours has a bunch of bricks left over from the patio they put in this past summer. He's been trying to get someone to come and get them. We said we would get them just as soon as winter is over. There will be enough to make a nice fire pit. It won't be huge or anything, but it will be a nice size for sitting by on cool nights and would be perfect for the dutch oven. I look forward to it.

BarbiQ

We've been checking online for design ideas. At first we were thinking a circular pit would be good, but the more we think about it, a square pit might be easier for mowing around since it will be in the middle of a grassy area of the yard. The jury is still out.

Cappy

For the life of me I dont see why anyone would buy bricks for a fire pit. All you have to do is look around, almost every brick house has a pile in the back left over that they would love to be rid of. Folks will tell ya they not fire bricks so they wont last. Rubbish they will last 5 or more uears and longer with a lil care and if they do crumble remember the price was right. If you cna try to find left over cinder blocks solid or the ones with holes dont matter. Just stack up what ever ya find into the size and shape ya want stagger them for strength also leave a couple air holes on bottom. Do not concrete them in leave them stacked but not martered
that way ya can change and reinvent as you go also they last longer that way cause they can expand or contract with the heat. I built this one outa free concrete blocks and a friend had the aluminum angle iron and rebar he gave me for the promise of being invited to join us on occasion
. The wood ya see piled on the side and behind it is heavy solid oak scaffolding boards past their prime. Also free. We do not often cook on it cause its aminly for sitting by the fire. But it aint nuffin to put a grill in a corner and throw some thing on.

BarbiQ

Nice job, Cappy! That is a great pit! You sure do have a nice bit of wood there too. How long will that last you?

You built the sides up pretty high so I imagine that really gets those coals at the bottom good and hot and keeps them that way for a long time. I love to bake foil wrapped potatoes right in the coals. They come out perfect.

I'm not sure what that is you have cooking there, but it sure does look tasty! :hungry:

Bill Michaels

"How Not to Overthink Things in One Easy Lesson" by Cappy. ;)
That's one of the things I miss about the South - that, and the food. As for mowing around the fire pit, we have an inexpensive circular metal pit we picked up on clearance that sits on a square paving stone. Best of both worlds, in a sense.

joshposh

That's a cool little set up you got there @Cappy. I think I would be roasting a pig on that or maybe a few chickens. That is big and deep enough to handle a decent size pig for sure.

Cappy

Rest assured josh all that and then some are in the plans for this winter. I just scored some heavy duty stainless grill material from a friend big enough to cover the whole thing.:):clap2:

Canbeef

Nice Cappy! You're right about the blocks. Stack them up and they last quite a while. That's a pretty big fire pit that you could cook quite a few things on at one time!

Cappy

It was built mainly just to sit by and enjoy the fire. We plan to do some cooking on but we have several bbq pits and cast iron pots for that.....

Thyme2

That is not a fire for BBQ, that's a bonfire and a really big one Jason. Stand too close and you'll get singed. We have an area in the back near the garden that we've made into a huge pit to burn old wood and papers. It looks like that when we light them up.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Yeah those are some of the bigger ones. I actually had one section of that pit that only "good" wood went into that I used for cooking. We had a few fires though that you really needed to step back from. Christmas I would do a "Yule log" that I would have burning for a few days. It was nice to sit around those and warm the feet.