Deep Fried Pretzels

Kenzie

I came across a recipe the other day for deep fried pretzels. Buy the soft pretzels in the freezer section of your local grocery store, cut them in bite sized pieces and drop in hot oil for just a minute or two. Serve with any variety of sauces and you have a great snack or appetizer. Anyone tried these?

ber4

No, not yet. What a very easy recipe though. I am not a huge fan of fried foods. I bet my kids would love them though. What kinds of dipping sauce would you use?

Hilt

It does seem simple but I am wondering how good (or bad) they are for you being deep fried. This is part of the reason we never fry food, we have no idea how to figure out how healthy or unhealthy it is.

TopChef

Wait, so there is no batter or anything? You just fry them as is (but cut up)? Interesting. I am trying to picture what that would do to the pretzel. I am not sure it would be worth the effort, but I would certainly trying some if they were offered to me.

Kenzie

That's it Topchef. You just cut them into bit sized pieces and drop them in hot oil. Not batter or anything. The only thing it does to the soft pretzel is give it a semi crunchy coating with a soft middle. Sauces could be mustard, honey mustard or any other thing you would like on your pretzels.

Over Easy

Honey Mustard for me please. I love that stuff and, if you lightly salt the pretzels as soon as they come out of the fryer........delicious.

BBQueen

If you buy the soft pretzels from the freezer section, they are already cooked. The only reason to cook them is to thaw them and warm them up. What would be the purpose of deep frying them, other than to make them horrible for your waistline?

Charcoal

That deep fried pretzel recipe sounds really easy, but I prefer soft pretzels as they are. I really try to avoid deep fried foods as they are not friends with my heart and waistline.

We cut ours up and bake them, but that's one of the few things that I haven't tried deep fried. I might try it once, just to say I did, but I will stick to baking them most of the time.