Deciding What Size Grill To Buy

Diane Lane

Right now, I have a small hibachi, which is good for one or two people. In the future, I'd like to get a larger grill. Ideally, I'd like something dual-fuel, but my main concern is what size grill to buy. Is there a specific formula for calculating the cooking space needed for each person? If so, does anyone bother with it? I think it would be nice to be able to cook more food, as well as a variety of food. Even with one or two people, I prefer to do all of my grilling at once, rather than be constantly firing up the (charcoal right now) grill, especially in the hotter or otherwise inclement weather.

joshposh

It really depends on your budget and how many times are you actually going to have guest over and you have to cook more food. It might be easier to get a larger one, but if it isn't necessary, then just save the money until it is a "must get" situation. There are a lot of good deals at Walmart on cheap Hibachis. Some as low as $20 usd for a medium sized grill that will be able to cook a decent amount of food. But just keep it plain and simple and don't waste the money on something you are rarely going to take full advantage of the extra space.

Diane Lane

It really depends on your budget and how many times are you actually going to have guest over and you have to cook more food. It might be easier to get a larger one, but if it isn't necessary, then just save the money until it is a "must get" situation. There are a lot of good deals at Walmart on cheap Hibachis. Some as low as $20 usd for a medium sized grill that will be able to cook a decent amount of food. But just keep it plain and simple and don't waste the money on something you are rarely going to take full advantage of the extra space.
I already have a hibachi. Since I prefer to cook more than one meal at a time, and grill vegetables in addition to meat, it's often not large enough without having to grill for an extended period of time. That might be o.k. when it's cooler, but in the Texas heat, a little outdoor time goes a long way.

I have seen the lower cost grills online and in the store. One reason I went with the hibachi is, in addition to being familiar with it, it's sturdy. The lower cost grills I've seen that have legs, which is what I'd want, something that could stand alone, tend to be rickety, which concerns me.

So yes, I probably will end up waiting until I'm able to afford a more well-constructed one, but my question really is more about size, as in cooking space, and how to calculate the size needed per person (or per meal), so that I'll be able to look around, and investigate the possibilities of what I can buy in the future.

tiewunon

Never seen anything that spells out the adequate grill size. I've come to believe that cooking grate space and closets are much alike. You never seem to have enough of it/them.
I'd narrow my search down on whats going to last the test oftime. I like you had a hibachi that lasted for years until someone walked off with mine.
If you are looking for a charcoal grill I would look at the PK. Made of cast aluminum, won't rust and can double as a smoker. Very efficient. I have one in my herd. Another option maybe a Weber Kettle. Good grill but I like my Pa K better its more efficient and way easier to control tems ith when smoking.
I know you said dual fuel. Maybe a portable gasser and keep the hibachi for more grate space when needed. Weber "Q" series or Holland Companion would make good choices.

Diane Lane

Never seen anything that spells out the adequate grill size. I've come to believe that cooking grate space and closets are much alike. You never seem to have enough of it/them.
I'd narrow my search down on whats going to last the test oftime. I like you had a hibachi that lasted for years until someone walked off with mine.
If you are looking for a charcoal grill I would look at the PK. Made of cast aluminum, won't rust and can double as a smoker. Very efficient. I have one in my herd. Another option maybe a Weber Kettle. Good grill but I like my Pa K better its more efficient and way easier to control tems ith when smoking.
I know you said dual fuel. Maybe a portable gasser and keep the hibachi for more grate space when needed. Weber "Q" series or Holland Companion would make good choices.
Haha, @tiewunon I think you're right about the closet analogy! I definitely think more is better with regard to both. I've seen some decent prices on eBay for grills and smokers lately. I still don't have the money in the budget, but I've always been a dreamer, so this is nothing new. Is PK a brand?

Yes, dual fuel because the charcoal takes forever to light, and although I don't mind cooking outside, there isn't much to do out there besides cook. The porch where I do the cooking is close to some annoying people, so I spend as little time out there as possible, hence the desire for speedy cooking at times.

Sorry about your grill being stolen. I wish we didn't have to worry about such things, but in light of your comment, maybe I should consider a chain, so I could chain a grill to the railing, if I'm ever able to swing the cost of buying one. I actually had plants stolen when I lived in a nice apartment complex, and it turned out the thieves were working at or owners of a local garden place.