Staff member
  • 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings
  • 3 slices country ham
  • pinch or two of sugar
  • 1/3 cup brewed black coffee
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Hot biscuits or grits for serving.
Heat the bacon drippings in a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat
add the ham slices and fry until brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. remove to platter and keep warm
add the sugar and coffee to skillet to deglaze, stirring and scraping any brown bits from the skillet.
increase the heat to medium-high, add 1/2 cup water, bring the mixture to a boil, and cook for about 3-5 minutes to reduce. ladle over hot biscuits or grits.

D

dissn_it

This sounds really good. It reminds me of something you could order in a small diner somewhere in the south. I'll be giving this recipe a try sometime soon. Thanks jason!

T

TopChef

My daddy used to make this classic country dish once in a while when I was growing up. I like it enough to eat a small portion, once in a while. But I'm not really a fan of country ham. It is just too salty to me!

O

ohiotom76

I love Red Eye gravy, had it for the first time a couple years ago and was surprised at the taste of it. It didn't really taste like coffee at all to me. Maybe it was because of the meat it was paired with.

By the way, if you ever happen to be in downtown Cleveland, check out The Greenhouse Tavern - they make an excellent Pork Chops in Red Eye Gravy.

B

beckyv1265

I love red eye gravy. That looks like a great recipee.