Country Fried Steak

MissPeggy

Has anyone made this before? Do you have a good recipe for it that you would share. This isn't something that we eat all the time but I would like to fix it myself sometime. Believe it or not, the times we have ate it has been at a restaurant.

shaun

I've never tried it before, it doesn't really appeal to me. The recipes will vary, you basically use the same method you would use for friend chicken, but use steak instead. You could use the flour, egg, breadcrumb coating or you could use flour and buttermilk etc.

beckyv1265

I always start with Cube steak and the soak it in buttermilk. Then I dip it in seasoned flour with salt,pepper,garlic and onion powder. I fry in bacon fat until it carmelizes on both sides. Then I remove it and add more butter and seasoned flour to the pan in equal amounts to make a rue. I then add beef broth and 1 cup of milk to make a gravy. I place the fried steak back in the gravy and then serve with mashed potatoes or rice. This is also great with liver and venison. I just pound the venison to cube it first.

If I have a meal I am curious about I always look on Food Networks site. This tends to give me some great recipes and some of them I have even seen on the cooking shows. So it taste and looks great!

Jenine

Making country fried steak is easy. This isn't something my family eats everyday either. But, I can share my mom's recipe with you. This is what I learned from her. She usually uses cubed steak. She seasons the steak with seasoned salt (my favorite seasoning), lemon pepper, pepper and garlic powder. You then dip the steak in the same flour that's used for fried chicken (usually white or self-rising flour). After that, you put the flour dipped cubed steak in the deep fryer or frying pan (with grease) and cook on both sides until Golden brown.

Epicfied

I haven't fixed Country Fried Steak in a long time. In fact, last time I had it was probably at a restaurant. It's nice every once in a while though so I'll probably try it out soon. All of the recipes posted seem simple. Thanks.:)

R. Paradon

I always start with Cube steak and the soak it in buttermilk. Then I dip it in seasoned flour with salt,pepper,garlic and onion powder. I fry in bacon fat until it carmelizes on both sides. Then I remove it and add more butter and seasoned flour to the pan in equal amounts to make a rue. I then add beef broth and 1 cup of milk to make a gravy. I place the fried steak back in the gravy and then serve with mashed potatoes or rice. This is also great with liver and venison. I just pound the venison to cube it first.
Sounds like a tasty recipe. Problem is that there is no butter-milk in Thailand. Can I use fresh milk and add a little white vinegar for the effect? (the dogs are smiling again....he's going to screw up another recipe) :rolleyes:

grillqueen79

R. Paradon here is an article I found for you about buttermilk substitutes, but it sounds as though you may have tried it before. ;) I always use cube steak, flour and fry it until lightly browned, and then throw it in the crockpot with potatoes, onions, and carrots. The key to mine is using the Old Mill brown gravy (2 packs) and pouring that over the top. Then I just let it cook on low for a few hours.

Pete

I do variations on the recipes above, but haven't found just the right one to match my mom's. I do caramelize onions and add to the mixture and I leave out the garlic. I know Mom didn't know what garlic was, let alone put it in her recipes. She used a cast iron frying pan.

I've actually never tried this and have not heard of it either. I read the recipe that was posted and it sounds really good. It is definitely worth trying. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

beckyv1265

Sounds like a tasty recipe. Problem is that there is no butter-milk in Thailand. Can I use fresh milk and add a little white vinegar for the effect? (the dogs are smiling again....he's going to screw up another recipe) :rolleyes:
Yes you can make buttermilk by adding vinegar to regular milk.

iArvee

I haven't tried this yet but am looking forward to. :) Maybe I'll get the family to have this on the grill next time. Nice share!

R. Paradon

R. Paradon here is an article I found for you about buttermilk substitutes, but it sounds as though you may have tried it before. ;) I always use cube steak, flour and fry it until lightly browned, and then throw it in the crockpot with potatoes, onions, and carrots. The key to mine is using the Old Mill brown gravy (2 packs) and pouring that over the top. Then I just let it cook on low for a few hours.
Thanks! That is a great site...and not only for buttermilk subs!

GwapaLala

This sounds yummy. I've been looking for buttermilk since forever so I'm really glad I stumbled upon this one. Looking forward to making this real soon!