Chuck Roast

R

rayne

I just saw an interesting recipe for chuck roast this morning. Take one chuck roast and put in crock pot. Sprinkle with a package of powered ranch dressing mix. Lay a stick of butter on top and surround the butter with 6 pepperoncini peppers. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. The person sharing the recipe said it was wonderful. I may have to give it a try.

H

hotcoals

That sounds interesting, but I'm not so sure about the peppers. I find pepperoncini peppers to be far too much heat for me. I'm such a wimp when it comes to spiciness. Chuck roast is great in the crockpot, although it's best to remove it and take the fat off before returning to the sauce.

T

TopChef

I like all the individual components in that recipe, but I am not sure if I would like them all put together. I am trying to imagine the ranch with a chuck roast. I usually do a mushroom cream soup with a chuck roast along with vegetables.

R

rayne

I wondered the same thing TopChef. That's why I think I'll try it this weekend. Many recipes call for the ranch dressing mix but like you, I had never heard of it on a roast before. I'll let you know how it tastes.

T

TopChef

Please do. If it is good, it would be a welcome change in our routine.

And now that I am thinking about it, I am wondering if a roast with a ranch flavoring might be good with noodles?

O

ohiotom76

This sort of sounds like a loose adaptation of those Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches. The ones where they slow cook the beef roast in an Italian seasoned beef broth, then slice it and top it with Giardinara (pickled veggies) and serve it on a hard roll, with more juice.

Many of the recipes I've seen to make this at home however said to use a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix along with some beef broth, then dump a jar of the giardinara in the crock pot with the roast and slow cook it all for several hours.

M

mollie

This sounds great. I have never used a dry ranch dressing on beef before. I have used Italian though. I cannot wait to try the ranch. I think it sounds really good.

R

rubadub

Oh, this does sound very tasty. Are those peppers really spicy? I have put ranch dressing on my beef sandwiches before. I bet the roast would taste pretty much the same. I love the smell of a roast cooking in the slow cooker all day.

E

evelynmcgregor

I like to put chuck roast in bottled Italian dressing and marinade it over night. Then I put it on the grill for several hours. It is great right off the grill, but it does make such righteous grilled beef sandwiches the next day. Carmalize some onions to put on the sandwiches and it is heaven in a mouthful~

O

ohiotom76

I made a traditional pot roast, with potatoes and veggies the other day, and my folks ate the whole damn thing before I could go back for seconds, lol - so I'm assuming they liked it, I was impressed.

Sometimes it's fun to get back to basics I suppose. I just peeled and chopped potatoes, onions, celery and carrots, and smashed a few cloves of garlic. Placed the roast into a pan brushed with oil, along with the veggies, and seasoned just with salt and pepper and some fresh chopped parsley. Then I poured half a quart of beef broth in, put the lid on and cooked it slowly for about 5 hours or so. During the last hour I cracked the lid open partially, which gave the top of them meat a deep brown color. It also reduced the broth making the flavor even more intense.

I was considering removing the meat and veggies and thickening the broth into a gravy, but I didn't bother because it tasted fine on its own.