Cheesy smoked sausage & pasta skillet

G

grillqueen79

This another new recipe that we had this week and it was a big hit. I love one pan meals and this one is pretty quick and easy to make .

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic (about two fresh cloves)
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
  • 8 oz dry pasta (any small pasta will do)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
  • 1/3 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
Instructions
  1. Add olive oil to a 4-5 quart saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
  2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
  3. Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for about five minutes to allow cheese to melt. Top with sliced scallions and serve.
  4. Makes about 4 servings.

B

Ben

Wow, that actually looks really good! One thing I don't understand about these recipes. Is the pasta supposed to be cooked partially or fully before hand? I can't see cooking pasta in a saute pan with the rest of the stuff. Wouldn't it get all starchy?

G

grillqueen79

With this one you put the pasta in uncooked and it cooks in the sauce. I didn't think that it turned out too starchy, but you could always cook it partially or fully and then add it.

B

Ben

Ok, good call, because I think I might just end up doing that with it. I like my pasta a little soft but they say it's bad to eat it like that. "Al dente" is the way to go so it won't stick to your gut. This is a good recipe though so I'm gonna add this to the repertoire! Thanks again for this one.

G

grillin_n_chillin

This recipe sounds pretty good! I'll have to give it a try sometime, maybe over this weekend. I'm big on one dish meals, too, which is why I've been on a casserole kick here lately. I've been craving pasta lately, though, so maybe this is just what I need!