Burnt but Uncooked

V

vida_llevaresv

Have you ever experienced having your BBQ burnt but the meat is uncooked?

What could be the cause? How can I be sure that the meat is already cooked?

R

rollybooz

Hey vida! This is one common problem that many of us will never fail to face! The main cause for having food that is burnt on the outside but still raw on the inside, is simply because your fire for cooking is too hot. To prevent this, make sure that your coals are evenly spread out after the fire has started and is stable. Try not to cook while the flames are still going strong but rather, allow them to die down a little as open flames will quickly burn your food. If you are unable to control the heat, perhaps you could place your foods along the edges of the pit rather than in the middle where the heat there is less intense, allowing the inside of the meats to be cooked while the outside is not burnt so quickly. To make sure the meats are cooked, stick a fork into the meat and make sure that red blood does not ooze out (pork, chicken etc.). For beef, you have to go by experience and slice it open to see how well it has been cooked. Cheers!

V

vida_llevaresv

Thanks for your input, rollybooz. I couldn't agree with you more. This is certainly a common problem. I have already attempted to resolve it in a trial-and-error approach but I still couldn't master the secret. Nevertheless, your insights will be extremely helpful. I am optimistic this will make my worries lighter.

S

shaun

The reason for burnt and undercooked meat is the temperature being too high. The outside of the meat is charred quickly and the inside is left uncooked. I have never had this problem myself but I we had some burnt/uncooked chicken thighs at my friend's barbecue. It looked well-cooked by the chicken was pink inside.

P

Pocs

Many people think, throw it on the grill or barbie and walk away. Wrong! You need to watch the hot spots, the coals and the meat temps. Cooking outdoors requires more maintenance than cooking in doors. Rotisserie cooking might be the only exception. Time is the important factor here.

G

GrillOrBeGrilled

Definitely the temperature is too high. You may be putting the meat on the grill too soon. It's best to wait until the coals are putting out a nice even heat, but not flaming up. Also, you may need to lift the grill higher above the fire. For chicken or pork, you can try parboiling them earlier in the day so that they cook thoroughly when you put them on the grill.

T

TheMaster

Like GrillorBeGrilled said your temperature is to hot. It scored the meat before the temperature was hot enough to go throughout the meat. Most of the time you never want to cooking anything above medium high on the grill.

B

Burg14

Yes! It's from cooking the meat too fast and on a temperature that is too high. I have had this happen a few times. I ended up tossing the meat and starting over. You have to turn down the heat.

N

nash22

I agree! Temperature may have been way too high. Try to make sure there is not strong fire flames and just let the coals smoke.

S

steph84

That fire is too hot and you are just burning the outside! I like to go with slow and steady instead of high flames and too much heat. My dad said that you will only get all sizzle and no steak if you cook that way! ;)

M

MellowGuy

I'm sure most people have gone through this very problem and so have I. What has worked for me is FOIL. If I know that the fire is way too hot and the juices of the meat is likely to make it go supernova hot, I wrap my raw meat in foil and throw the whole thing on the grill. I will let that meat boil in it's own juices (inside the foil) for a bit then remove the foil. This ensures the inside is as cooked as I want and all I have to do is seer the outside. The result for me was a HIT this labor day weekend. Tender and juicy inside and seered to perfection outside.

M

Mrs. Pirz

It a simple change in how hot your fire is, that should do the trick. Same thing happens when you fry something or bake something in too hot of a stove of over. The outside crisps and the inside is raw. That's ok - it happens to EVERYONE. You live and learn.

B

BobbyBoberry

I finally figured it out after burning so many things. But it's better to have low and slow rather than fast and hot on the meat. It allows the meat to cook on the inside and the outside. It just takes a while to master it and I did after many mistakes.

D

dissn_it

You can try using an indirect heat method to cook the meat low and slow. The best way to know for certain when the meat is cooked acurately is to use a meat thermometer. Another method is to push down on the meat without poking it. The firmer it is, the more cooked it is.

Y

Youlovejordan

I think we've all experienced this phase before, it's definitely the temperature on the fire is too hot. I agree, it's best to just use a thermometer to gauge if it's cooked or night it will save you a lot of time, trust me!

P

Parker

Rollybooz is correct in that your fire was too hot. When I started BBQ-ing on my own, it happened a lot. With experience, I learned how to control the fire. I would use too much kindling to make the fire super hot. I ended up baking my meat (ribs) because they were burnt on the outside, but still red right below the surface.

T

ToneGrail

I like my steaks medium rare. So its not an issue. However when I grill chicken legs I always bake them beforehand until completely cooked all the way through. I grill them for only a few minutes each side after baking them. They always come out great.

A

Arnold

Newly married people used to be notorious for doing this. Finally, a new housewife learned to cook. My aunt never did get it right. She was always in a hurry and burned things outside. The family joke was that no one would eat at her house.

L

Lincoln

I have done that a few times myself. I once actually caught the piece of meat on fire. It was charbroiled on the outside and still runny red on the inside. You'll eventually get the hang of it, but it takes a few mishaps to figure it out.

G

grillqueen79

Your temperature is too high for one. Also, if you use a marinade sometimes the marinade will burn off well before the meat is done. Try cooking with indirect heat and see if it makes a difference.