Grilled Boyscout dinners

O

Onatah

Our favorite recipe on our grill or just in a campfire is boyscout dinners. I can even get my adult kids to come for a visit if I announce I'm making them.

Ingredients:

Sliced onion
Bacon
Ground beef (or any other ground meat, we often use ground rabbit)
Sliced potatoes
Salt and pepper
Butter

Directions:
*Note - each one of these made is for an individual who is dining with you. You can tweak each one to their liking.

Lay out a length of aluminum foil.
Smear on some butter right on the foil. I go generously with it.
Layer on two strips of bacon, preferably thick cut. You can also substitute ends and pieces, just make sure they aren't so thick that they won't cook well.
Place hamburger shaped patties on top of the bacon. Sometimes I will make my patties more in a long, narrow shape. Really depends on how much meat the person likes who's getting this particular package.
Place potato slices on either side and on top of the burger.
Salt and pepper the potatoes and add some sliced onion to your liking on top of the potatoes as well.
Layer with another two slices of bacon.
Wrap aluminum foil up around the meal to seal it like a wrapped gift, rolling the ends tightly to get a good seal. Add another sheet of foil, sealing it on the opposite side, for maximum seal and to prevent moisture loss when cooking. I usually use sturdy foil for the original and cheapie thinner stuff for the second wrap.

Grill until done. Usually 20 minutes. Will vary depending on thickness of meat and potatoes inside. Flip package over half-way through cooking. You'll hear the butter and bacon sizzling.

L

L_B

Wow this sounds so awesome. I am definitely copying this one and saving it for our camping trips next summer. It is sad that camping season and grilling season have come to an end in our area or I would be trying this out sooner. I know that everybody will love them and what's not to love when there is bacon? :)

O

Onatah

You can always sample it in your oven as well. I've done that.
I've been known to brave the snow drifts to get to my precious grill as well. Something just warms up all over when I grill my dinner in the winter. I may need to try camping in the winter. Well, aside from within my horse trailer quarters, which I've done (with a heater). Not sure that counts. ;)

L

L_B

Ya my partner has been suggesting winter camping but I can't see me doing it. We did sleep in our car one night in the middle of January and it was freezing cold. Never want to do that again either! lol

I thought about cooking this in the oven but I wasn't sure how long to good it for or the temp to use. So what did you use when you were cooking yours in the oven. I really want to try this. Maybe I will try it this weekend! :)

O

Onatah

I cooked mine at 350, placed on a cookie sheet, for about 45 minutes. Be sure to turn it every 15 - 20 minutes so the bottom doesn't get overcooked and don't be shy with the butter or bacon (add extra bacon if it's very lean). The moisture is important. I also like to slice my potatoes a tad on the thicker side as if they are too thin, they tend to just wither into nothingness or stick too easily to the foil. Ditto with my onions. All personal preference, though.

Reactions: L_B
L

L_B

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I am definitely going to be making these in the oven over the weekend. I will let you know how it goes. I won't be shy with the butter..I never am!! lol