Barbecue Whole Bananas!

We just had a wonderful weekend and barbecued a Papa Murphy Chicago Style Stuffed Crust Pizza on our old Weber Grill. For desert we put bananas on the grill! The next time you have a cookout, put whole bananas, with their skins on, right on the grill. Cook covered at low temperature about 8 minutes, turning once. You will absolutely love the taste of these delicious barbecued bananas! Has anyone every tried this?

Hilt

That is actually something I have never had grilled. Is this something you commonly grill, how was it? I wonder if the kids would get picky if we tried this during the outing we have planned for this weekend.

I've never tried this. Does the banana get warm and mushy? I am not a big fan of bananas, but my daughter would love this! Sounds like a healthy dessert as well!

rbaker_59

I have cooked bananas in pudding and other desserts, but never on the grill. It really does sound unique and different. Just don't know about hot bananas by themselves.

dconklin

I have not tried this but it sounds like they could be delicious! I like the flavor cooked banana adds to different things such as homemade pudding. I can imagine this is a quick, easy and tasty dessert!

Jessi

I've never put them straight on the grill before.

I've seen people put them over the campfire, though, and then split open the middle and fill with chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc, so that it melts and creates a sweet treat.

Barbequed bananas? No, I haven't tried it that way yet. We normally make banana fritters. Peel, slice and fry. I have tried barbequed eggs, though. Barbequed in the shell. Delicious.

Olivia

I've seen people put them over the campfire, though, and then split open the middle and fill with chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc, so that it melts and creates a sweet treat.
That sounds delicious!

btatro

Yup, banana boats, yum! I actually never thought about using miniature mallows and chocolate chips. All we ever have when camping is the regular size for s'mores. Either way, you get the same effect. And no, the banana does not get all mushy!

Mrs. Pirz

These look great! Seems fairly easy, inexpensive, extremely fun and yummy! Have you ever tried sprinkling these with cinammon first and then topping with chocolate and crushed graham crackers? I think that would be very tasty as well. I am curious to try these:)

Jessi

These look great! Seems fairly easy, inexpensive, extremely fun and yummy! Have you ever tried sprinkling these with cinammon first and then topping with chocolate and crushed graham crackers? I think that would be very tasty as well. I am curious to try these:)
You could just buy cinnamon graham crackers and skip a step there. Minus the cinnamon, though, it sounds a lot like smores and would be quite yummy, too.

Goodness, looks like the humble banana has been given a real proper make-over. I am going to show these pictures to the people in the village where I used to live. I am sure they are going to roll on the floor laughing.

All these ideas have my mouth watering! I've never tried grilling bananas before, but I'm always trying to find new recipes/meal ideas, so I'll be giving this a try SOON. I think I'll buy some peanut butter and honey to drizzle over them afterwards, for an Elvis-inspired, grilled sweet treat! ;)

Peanut butter and honey on hananas? This is getting better and better. I am not really sure whether I would try it, though. I normally eat my bananas fresh.

Jessi

Peanut butter and honey on hananas? This is getting better and better. I am not really sure whether I would try it, though. I normally eat my bananas fresh.
Oh, if you've never had bananas with peanut butter and/or honey, you should try it out at some point regardless. It's a lovely combination....like peanut butter and chocolate.

taskeinc

Seeing is believing, here's the recipe for a grilled banana split:

Preheat grill. Brush cut sides of bananas with melted butter, then lay them (cut side down) on hot grill grate. Cook over medium-high heat until bananas are golden brown and grill marks show, about 2 minutes. Turn, skin side down; grill until tender for a couple more minutes.

For the sundaes, take the bananas out of their skins and arrange two halves in each of 4 bowls. Scoop some ice cream into each bowl. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with chopped candy. Garnish with whipped cream, if you wish.

shaun

I've never actually tried grilled bananas. It is something I will have to try in the future. Putting a banana on the grill isn't too difficult! :p I think it would be delicious served with peanut butter and honey!

What a beautiful picture, taskeinc!! You're right - seeing is believing! Those bananas look absolutely... well, mouth-watering! It looks like each banana is cut in half, but not peeled. Is that right? So the banana cooks on one side, then cooks through the peel on the other side, correct?