Barbecue is Barbecue, Grilling is Grilling,

D

dollarbill

Or is it?

Most people see a difference. BBQ low and slow, grilling fast and quick. In the oven is not BBQ.

What about direct BBQ cooking? Where you cook directly over the grill but slow.

What about the claims that original BBQ was cooked directly over coals where today it is indirect. Mayans and Native North Americans used indirect smoke methods for hundreds of years before Europeans arrived.

What about Myron Mixon who uses a fast and hot method. Is that grilled or BBQ?

Why do some people get so upset when you say you are having a BBQ and you cook burgers and hot dogs. Webster defines barbecue when used as a noun as "an outdoor meal or party at which food is cooked on a barbecue".

In the end, does it really matter and people just need to relax and stop taking things too serious?

B

bsmith

I have used BBQ as a term for a gathering as Webster defines it, and for food cooked low and slow. I never got the hate.

S

sparky01

Does it really matter unless you want to feel like an elitist?

G

Guy g

Been thinking on this..Myron Mixon is not a good example. He does his cooking hot and fast, but that is simply a method he uses to smoke the meat. He can do this on Any smoker at any party. So can the rest of them.
There are technical definitions for BBQ, but I'm not a competitor. I simply feed people. I use the same methods used by others to make good food, I just use gas as my heat source. I use wood chips like the pros, mop sauce like the pros, indirect cooking like them also, so I guess it's all BBQ.
Now if I do chikkin or ribs in the oven, I use the same methods, but I call that oven baked BBQ . And no one goes hungry.

B

BBQteabwoi

To me I use the term to mean the same thing. When I talk about BBQ I mean when I talk about grilling I never really thought that they really had a difference.

N

Nimilo

For me i use BBQ specially for meat and Grill for seafoods, dont if it make sense cause even if they are different, variations are already created on how to prepare them with your desired outcome.

E

Ellyn

Why do some people get so upset when you say you are having a BBQ and you cook burgers and hot dogs. Webster defines barbecue when used as a noun as "an outdoor meal or party at which food is cooked on a barbecue".

In the end, does it really matter and people just need to relax and stop taking things too serious?
Personally I think Webster done goofed with that, but true this is not scientific or legal terminology. As long as the language is alive, the use of a word determines its meaning more than the meaning of a word determines its use.

I just consider it a regional thing, like if somebody told me that so-and-so was "pissed" then I have to consider what kind of English they were speaking whether that means "angry", "inebriated", or has something to do with urine.

So because I always have that doubt, I wouldn't be upset if someone invited me to a BBQ and I end up in a cookout. It's not like being invited to a convention and ending up in an intervention--now that's just deceptive! Otherwise, you're right, those specifics should not be prioritized over the company you are keeping and the fun you have in that company.

C

chefjohn

I call it a BBQ and what I do on it is grill food! I've called it by both names at times and no one has looked at me oddly. I think you can call it what you want, it's up to you. I consider the grill what I put my meat on.

T

Tessa

Maybe the meaning is region-specific? I live in the South, and BBQ or barbecue tends to mean one thing: pork. Up north, it's totally different, but those are my associations with the word.

B

Briquet

Where I grew up, a BBQ was a gathering, whether you had hamburgers and hot dogs, pork, or chicken. Now that I'm in the South, I find I have to differentiate between BBQ and grilling.

H

Hilt

I would love if people stopped taking everything so serious. I mean there is a big different if you are trying to place in a cook-off for a certain type of cooking but when it is just general stuff leave it that way. Don't get so antsy over simple stuff.

A

Amelie

I have never thought that the term would make a difference! I call the "event" a bbq party for example where we will "grill" stuff.

I think it doesn't matter what you call it.

Reactions: L_B
B

Burg14

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. I especially liked the comment about a convention and intervention.

I too think that it is a regional thing. I live in the Northeast. We use the term "cookout". It doesn't matter how the food is cooked, as long as it is outside. Open fire over the bonfire, charcoal grill or gas grill - it's just a cookout.

J

joshposh

I always used the term Barbecue when I plan to cook on a open fire. Doesn't matter what it is or how fast it is being cooked. If I'm making a fire outside and there is a grill in play, it's a barbecue. Now if I was using a smoker, I think I would call it "I'm smoking some meat".

Cappy

For me grilling is hot and fast, BBQ is low and slow and can both be done on gass or charcoal or in the oven for that matter.

W

WarmerWeather

It was always a medium and not a timing thing for me. BBQ is over coals, where as grilling uses gas. I don't have or see any hate issues, but never did consider gas cooking to be grilling.

T

tjrline

I'm from Wisconsin and our term for using the grill was "grilling out". We called it BBQ depending on the food. Chicken with BBQ sauce or ribs was called Barbecue. When we did burgers and brats it was grilling out. Now that I'm a bit more knowledgeable on food I consider slow cooked meats to be BBQ. Calling this regardless of sauce or dry rubbed. However call it what you want and enjoy.

L

L_B

Very interesting post. I am so confused now..lol Up here in the north we use BBQ to define it all. We will invite you to a backyard BBQ at our house to BBQ food on our BBQ. lol Unless we are cooking on an open fire at the beach or campsite then it would be something completely different.

D

Diane Lane

I'm happy with either word, especially if someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning. I'll be happy to eat what's cooked however it's cooked, and I've never understood the hate either. I love barbecue, but can't say I love standing over a hot grill, although it's more fun when others are around and I'm focused on things other than the labor involved.

W

Wilsongirl

I love anything made on a grill. I'm from the Caribbean so usually we identify the difference between BBQ and grilled meat by the appearance of the meat. I really don't get why people make this an issue, once it's well prepared and tasty it doesn't matter what it's called.