Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings?

ohiotom76

I stumbled across these while checking out the recipes on Stubbs BBQ sauce web site. I cannot believe I haven't seen these mentioned sooner since they have been putting bacon in just about everything from chocolate candies to jams.

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/recipes/the-bacon-onion-ring-oinkion/

They seem like they would be quite a bit of work to assemble them all, but for folks who are on Paleo diets, these would probably be a dream come true.

I'm also a little concerned about the dry rub - I would probably look for either a low sodium bacon or a salt free cajun seasoning so I'm not doubling down on the salt when seasoning them.

Jessi

I love that they called them "oinkions," lol.

They do seem tedious, though. Not only would cutting the onions and wrapping each one in 2-3 bacon strips take a long while, but 60-90 minutes just feels like a long time for something as simple as onion rings. Still sounds yummy, though!

L_B

They really do look good and I know they would be a hit with my family but they are just too time consuming for me. They look like they may be a pain to prepare and cook. Thanks for sharing though. It really is a clever idea.

Cappy

It's just me and Peggy at home so I may hafta try this we dont need many so it would be worth checking out we do stuff like bacon wrapped shrimp or oysters or green bean or asparagus bundles already so why not add this to our list. If we do I'll post it.

Reactions: L_B

L_B

I have had the baked wrapped oysters and scallops before and they were devine. They are always a nice little treat. We don't have them too often but when we do we enjoy them a great deal. Yes before to let us know if you try these cappy! :)

Diane Lane

I'm all about simple these days. I love the sound of onion rings and bacon, but I'd probably cook them separately, then toss them together on the plate. Another way would be to crisp the bacon and crunch it all up small, then add the small pieces to the batter when making onion rings (or use the Bacos if you wanted) I prefer fresh and real as much as possible.

L_B

I like the idea of crunching the bacon into small pieces and adding it to the batter when making onion rings. I think it would taste really good. You could do that to anything that you were battering and deep frying for extra flavour.